1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard aftermarket parts?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by OC&D, Dec 2, 2009.

1. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I've been pushing snow for about 14 years now. Up until 2006 I ran locally built Leo plows, which were fairly bullet proof and simple.

When I bought my newest truck (2006 F350), I opted for a Blizzard 810 (2005 model year). With a number of the lots I plow, I figured the wings on the Blizzard would really speed things up for me, and it certainly has!

Unfortunately I just got off the phone with the local dealer inquiring as to what new angle cylinders cost......$285.00 a piece!!!! The chrome on those rams has to be pretty shabby for them to start to pit so quick. Granted, I store it outside and I meant to grease them last spring, but I forgot. Regardless, I've got a fair amount of other equipment that gets run hard in the winter and have never had pitting that quick.

Long story short, I'm aware that a number of switches and whatnot can be found on Mouser.com. Has anyone found an aftermarket source for angle cylinders? I can't imagine someone wouldn't sell them! I've looked around on line and I'm having a hard time even finding another dealer that ships that may have a better price on them. Any ideas?

2. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Just to follow up...the same dealer wanted $436 for a cutting edge kit. I thought that was nuts, so I made my own out of $65 in steel. I used regular carbon steel, so I'm not sure how long it will last. Maybe I'll need to use cold rolled next time?

I still have to investigate the cylinder replacement options though.