1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 8611LP ?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by BushHogBoy, Feb 22, 2007.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Any feedback good or bad on this plow? The 8611LP is the same as the 8611 but its the low profile version. Not quite as tall (but a few hundred pounds lighter). Anyone have this on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck? I know its meant for a 1 1/2 - 2 ton truck but I know my truck could handle it fine.... 1,080 lbs....
    any problems? anything good to say about it? or bad? lets hear it. Would really like to have one next season.
  2. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

My boss has a blizzard 810 and loves it and if the 8611 is built anything like the 810 it is going to be a great plow. I am sure some one that has a lopro will chime in.

Ps You got a nice looking truck there, like the look of the older dodges and can't beat the cummins engine.
  3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I have both an 810 and an 8611lp and I love them both. I must admit that I don't really notice a huge difference between the two because we only plow streets with them (townhomes). I do find that the 8611 trips less, and does a cleaner job, but that could also be because the 810 is a year old (cutting edge). The springs on the wings are a bit more loose then I would like, they have been repositioned once already, but it isn't a big issue.

I like having a heavy blade as well, I have a 720lt and I don't like how light it feels and it seems to bounce a bit.

The 810 and 8611 lp are on F-350's and they handle them without a problem. I was told that they were a bit to heavy for the GMs, but I have seen many on GMs and they seem to hold them fine.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

If you're going to put it on a 250-350, you're going to need Timbrens.

I have 2, both on 350's. I love mine, but there are some problems showing up with the wings. Thye are not quite as strong as the full size or 810's it seems. They are bending when something is caught, even after tripping. They are not broke and plowing can continue, but there are several that I know of, inlcuding my own.

I have one more 350 that I hope to upgrade to an LoPro next year.
  5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Jon, Thanks sounds great. I'd like a heavy blade that scrapes good without bouncing or riding up on deep snow, that really annoys me a lot when your plowing a pile and have to go over it 3 times because the plow rides up over the snow.... or having to do a lot twice for the same reason (if its a bigger lot and the windrows get big).

Mark, I'm putting it on a real truck. A Dodge coil sprung straight front axle Dana 60. I have 2" coil spacers on it just to level it out for appearance empty and to provide a little extra clearance for the 35" BFG M/T's (no lift on truck just level kit) they clear fine even with the 600# SnoWay raised. The SnoWay at 600# barely touches the truck, I'm sure an additional 400# would be no big deal. When I use the big wings I built on the plow (makes it 11' 6") they add probably a good 50# each, maybe close to 75, they are very heavy, and the truck still barely notices it. I refuse to use Timbrens..... I HATE them with a passion but thats another topic we've already covered ;) not trying to pick a fight but I'm positive the truck will hold the weight without suspension mods... Now the fullsize 8611 model would probably be too heavy I'm sure but I don't know. I just figured if the 8611 was aimed toward 1 1/2+ ton trucks, that my 1 ton wouldn't tear it up too easily but if I'm wrong maybe I'll go for the fullsize and try to upgrade to heavier front coil springs? Do you have a fullsize 8611 ? What do you think I should get in your opinion? Typically I don't drive around with the plow on unless theres snow on the ground. I put it on the day or night before a storm and leave it on until a day or two after the storm, when the phone's done ringing and everything's cleared off. If we're expecting another storm within a couple days I would leave it on. The truck has 330k miles on it and is 11 years old. I run a 1993 steel Vbox in the bed so ballast is definately no problem. I have no problem putting a fullsize model on it if its strength is worth the extra weight, as long as you think i should go for the extra strength. The blade height is not neccessary, the only time I have snow spill over my 24" moldboard is when pushing a big pile and thats expected. The 8611LP is still taller than my SnoWay so i think that'd be fine. We usually only get 1-4" storms with an occasional 6" storm and I will be the only one operating the plow not an employee, and i'm very careful of curbs and know my lots so i think the LP would be strong enough but correct me if i'm wrong? I definately want something a bit stronger than the Snoway. Its proven very tough but its obviously not enough blade for the truck; i've broken a perfectly good cutting edge in 2 places (yes it could be upgraded to a thicker one, but that just moves the break point to another place in the blade) and with all the abuse i've thrown it, i'm surprised it hasn't suffered more damage, but I'd definately recommend a SnoWay to anyone. I just want the heavier bigger blade and luxury of a PowerPlow.... so please let me know if the fullsize is worth the extra weight or if you think in my conditions a LP is plenty.
    Thanks a ton!!!!!
    Happy plowing
  6. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Yah im pretty sure your truck will handle an 8611lp alright. I just have one question for ya, and im not tryin to start somethin but why do you say your truck is a 1 ton 3500, when from last i checked dodge didnt make single rear wheel 1 tons in 96' (maybe special order ones?) AND it clearly says 2500 on the door...just curious
  7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Good question.
    The answer:
    It has the Dana 80 rear axle, which was standard in a 2500 manual transmission as well as all 3500 model trucks. It has the Dana 60 which is standard in 2500 & 3500 models. The only difference between 2500 and 3500 single wheels is the suspension, and this one was ordered with one ton suspension, factory overloads, and rear sway bar. It was ordered as a 3500 single rear wheel but that wasn't an option in '96 so it was a one ton upgraded 2500.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Hard to say which is better, but right now I'd have to go with the full size. Had 1 guy hit a curb, wing extended, wiped out the truck side frame completely and nothing happened to the plow. On mine, I caught a drain grate while pushing back drifts, tripped it and it bent. wing was not angled forward and neither was the plow, so the only thing to give was the trip springs and then the plow, so really it was 2 different things.

I'd probably still recommend a LoPro on anything under a 450 and like I said, I have 1 350 that I intend on installing a LoPro on sometime in the near future despite my wing and the others that I know about. I think it is just a matter of physics with the wing being out further than the 810 and being of lighter gauge steel than the full size, so it will bend faster than the others. And of all the bent wings on LP's, none of them have created a minute of downtime during a storm, everyone has been able to continue on and perform the repairs later.
  9. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

Full size is alot stronger/beefier. But it is VERY heavy. It makes my F550 work! You will tare the sh*t out of your truck, For your truck I would do the 810 or the 8611LP- We all know you are handy so you could also build/make an add on wing or 2 as well.

Good to see your still around- I thought you quit- I still remember you and Lawngodfather fighting:gunsfiring: :nod:
  10. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

8611LP on F350

I have a 8611LP on a 97 F350 Dulie with a 9'utility body and a 2 yard ss sander with a 1' extension on the sander so i can take 3 yards I added front 5000 lb front and 5000 lb rear air bags the rear bags are controled with a newway air ride hight valve and the front is controled in cab with electric solinoids to raise and lower the suspension
    Now for the plow the 8611 is probbally one of the best purchases i've made it cut my plowing time in half there were truble with the wing boxes but i belive thay corrected that the only other problems i have is the cutting edges ware out to quick (1 seson) I only do parking lotts no roads and the shoes wiped out the first time i used the plow I dont think thay can handle the weight of the plow I am presentally working on a set of wheels for my plow .......::gunsfiring: :eek: