1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 8611LP on an F-250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by polarvend, Aug 31, 2009.

1. polarvend

polarvend Junior Member
    from Alaska

Hi I was just wondering if anyone here has put an 8611LP Blizzard on a f250, the guy I bought the plow from had it on an f250 but was not using it commercially, personally I would go with an f350 or even a f450 and put a sander on the back, but I have been having a hard time finding a good one ton or larger, but why I ask about the f250 is my friend is wanting to sell his 99, But I just don't know. I think the plow is too big for the truck.?????
    What do you guys think??

2. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

i saw a guy on here with one on his f350 7.3 but id say go for it. i run this big honker with my 5.4 just fine. no problems with heavy lake effect buddy.

3. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I have run one for the last 2 years. I have V code front springs with a leaf added but other than that it works fine. I do run about #800 ballast

4. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

What are the actual weight differences between the 350 and 250. We do it and have no problems with the 350. All extended cab 8 foot diesels.

5. polarvend

polarvend Junior Member
    from Alaska

I am not sure of the weight differences, my main concern is the f350s have a solid front axle while the f250s do not, so I think things will wear out alot quicker.
    Why can't we just get an F350 truck with a cummins engine in it, boy that would be one awesome plow truck.

6. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

F250 do have solid axle unless its 2 wheel drive. I believe the main differences in the two trucks is springs and brakes and the 350 has a taller block above the rear axle.
    i run an 810 on my 350 diesel with 1,000 Lbs. ballast and it does well. i dont see why a 250 cant run the 8611lp with maybe an add-a-leaf or timberens up front...

7. polarvend

polarvend Junior Member
    from Alaska

Oh ok sounds good
    Thanks Jeff

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You are partially correct about the F-250's, he didn't say what year his was. If it's a 99 or newer it's a solid front axle (dana 60 I believe), if it's a pre 97 it has a dana 50 ttb axle which really isn't a solid axle.

9. polarvend

polarvend Junior Member
    from Alaska

Ahh ok I knew something was fishy, that makes sense now because I knew the older f250s did not have a solid axle, but I think that one I am going to be looking at is a 99 so that might work.

10. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Should be fine as long as you upgrade the front springs with add-a-leaf, x-code springs, or both if it's a diesel. Run plenty of balast also, and don't plow like a cowboy and you'll be fine. LP's are 150lbs heavier than an 810 FYI, and worth every pound. ;)

11. polarvend

polarvend Junior Member
    from Alaska

Why is that what is the difference between the 810 and the lp?
    well the main difference between 810 and this lp is its 1 foot wider is there anything else?

12. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Actual it Dana 50 hybrid for F250 and Dana 60 for F350.

13. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, the 810 is 950lbs, the lp is just a tick over 1100lbs (at least that's what they were before the redesign). Both are the same height moldboard. The moldboard on the lp is 6" longer than an 810, and each wing is 3" longer, so you have a plow that goes from 8'6" to 11' versus 8' to 10'. The "scoop" is also deeper due to the wings being longer, as well as being wider obviously.

Only downside is the weight, they're heavier than anything else pickup mounted, and the wings are a little more fragile than an 810, I've had to have 1 straightened on the LP, and the other is tweaked, but not bad enough to warrant trying to fix it yet. The 3 810's I have have never had a problem bending wings.