1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 8611 SS vs 8' or 9' KAGE SYSTEM

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by axl, Nov 14, 2011.

1. axl

axl Senior Member

Im looking for some insight/opinions comparing these two systems for skid steers. The applications to be used is for condo associations where back dragging is required but will also need to be able to control snow and windrow. By having either of these systems I will be able to do 95% of the job with the skid steer freeing up my trucks to do other jobs

2. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

No expirience with the kage, but man, it seems awesome!

3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

what you'll have to ask yourself if whether the increased carrying capacity of the Kage box is more important than the time you save with the blizzard by controlling the wings and not having to hook and unhook the box to the kage.

and dealer support.
    blizzards have more to go wrong as well.

4. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Cant comment on the Kage as I have never owned one. I have owned a few blizzard
    86-11's and when they are new they are very nice but they seem to get tattered quickly. springs get weak, paint falls off, pivot pin holes get egg shaped, and if you hit a curb on the corner with a wing out going fast you will have a problem. If you are careful and take really good care of them you may be ok. I would opt for something heavier.

5. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

I've run both. I opted for the Kage and glad I did. No complaints from the Blizzard, but the Kage is very versatile. Plus it can push a lot more snow, and the time to take the containment sides off is minimal. I didn't use the Blizzard long, only borrowed my friends to try it out.

6. 350yddr

350yddr Junior Member

I'll let you know from experience on the Blizzard we just purchased from Ebling here in Grand Rapids. It gets installed on a MI Cat 246C Skid on the 29th, can't wait. Primarily went with the 8611 because of the dealer, although the Kage looks worthy. Where in MI are you located?

7. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Cant go wrong with either one. I have a 8611 and its great for anything we run in to. Kage works really good but not having the 11 foot option is its only down fall. Nothing else in my fleet come close to the options of the 8611. Look at your dealer support! We have none............ So cutting edges and other thing like that are days away if not weeks. Get what ever will work for you and your machine. Other final thought, If your going to use the one blade on several machines just get the Kage! The blizzard has a joystick control you have to mount in your cab, or you need the 14 pin hook up. Kage is turn key!

8. axl

axl Senior Member

Im in SE MI by Livonia. Im pretty sure closest KAGE Dealer is on the other side of the state, have a couple Blizzard Dealers within 30min from me.

I found a 8611ss with like 50hrs on it still looks brand new for $5700 which puts it in same price range as a 9' KAGE.

Im torn, I have a 2 Blizzards(810, 8611LP) & a Wide-Out on my trucks so I know they are awesome and super productive. Havent had any issues with them yet(knock on wood).

The simplicity of the KAGE is quite intriguing though

9. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I'd go w/ the 8611 and order a set of "danger wings" from Jerre. That will be a much more productive setup in my opinion;

10. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

I have run my 10 foot kage about 500 hours so far and no problems. My other choice was a Horst blade, I went with the Kage for the simplicity. I have a few videos of me running it on you tube.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=4OojAD_hV3U

11. axl

axl Senior Member

Anymore input guys?

12. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I have always thought that would be the ultimate setup on a big skid or compact wheel loader.

The thing that bothers me about the Kage would be taking the box part on and off all the time. It also wouldn't be very good windrowing compared to a blade with wings.

13. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Maybe you don't realize how easy it is to take the box part off? Literally is takes seconds! If I have time I will do a video of my machine doing it.

14. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I know, it's just how I use the skid you are back dragging a lot. I don't think for me the Kage would work but sounds like it's good for a lot of guys.

15. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Yeah If I was back dragging alot I wouldn't use it either. Most of the lots I use mine on we back drag maybe 25% of the time at the most and the rest is pushing large amounts long distances.