1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BLIZZARD 8611-SS Questions????

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by DODGE-BOY, Oct 27, 2008.

1. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

Lets hear it, I need the real scoop about this plow for a Skid Steer. Good, bad? Plow versus pusher box or big straight blade..... pretty pricey but I don't mind spending it on good stuff. Can buy two blades or three boxes for this price. Will a steer beat this thing up? New Bobcat S-250, two speed on big lots with tight areas and cars around building then wide open on out. Thanks.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't be worried about a 250 beating it up, unless you have a cowboy for an operator.

Awesome plow, as I've stated once or twice, wish I would have gotten this model for my Toolcat instead of the 810 SS.

Very productive, can be used as a straight blade or as a pusher, so it is the best of both worlds.

3. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

Yea, thats the point for me wanting it, and don't really have a cowboy driver just talking about the beating that a skid steer causes being low and solid to the ground versus a long wheelbase truck. Initial pricing was about 7 grand. Don't you think that is high considering it doesn't have all the workings that are required on a truck mount? Approx. how much was your 810 SS, or how close to a normal unit was it? Thanks

4. Mark Oomkes

Seems high, but I've been hearing some wacky prices lately, not sure if they're accurate or not.

Mine was stock, although I did end up spending the money to get the 7 pin adaptor\solenoid unit on the blade so I could use the stock switches instead of the stupid joystick. Very well worth it, IMO.

5. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

Seems like without lights or wiring and just a basic 2-pin universal steer plate mount it would be less than a normal unit, not more.

6. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

It is much less, just checked at another dealer and found it for 1400 dollars less. Still would like to hear from someone who has used this 8611 SS. How does it work out having a control for the wing in the cab along with the skid steer controls? Must have a dis-connect for the control too.

7. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

Is that a way to get around having a control in cab and if so what kind of control or switches would you use? i.e. My Bobcat will have both Bobcat controls and Case type joysticks. ACS option

8. A Man

A Man Senior Member

DODGEBOY, I have been running that exact combination for the past 3 years. S250 and a 8611ss. We have the controls wired into the existing bobcat controls and have had no problems with them. We have had several problems with the blade, A frame cracked in half, and a few welds breaking, covered under warrenty all 3 times. Blown cylinders due to no mechanical stops, and it tends to bounce quite a bit when going down the road. The blade plows really well, moves a ton of snow, but I don't think I'd get another, seems to break down more then the rest of the equipment we have, I go with something a little simpler, probably from horst. http://www.horstwelding.com/

Good luck with your decision!

9. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

Wow! You have me thinking pretty hard now. I'm pretty new on this board but sounds like having a Blizzard without it going to Jerre is a mistake. Tell me you had a blind cowboy driving it, you had nothing but 10-20 inch snows, and the road was really bumpy. The horst stuff looks real decent but a little overkill for my area. Same reason I kind of shyed away from putting a Daniels on it. We don't typically have many big snows. One 20 incher last year, but usually 8 or less on average. Between your comments and all the work going to ERIE I'm second guessing the Blizzard idea. I know this will get a chuckle or two but I have been a 20 year very happy customer of Meyer products. I know them inside out and just don't have those kind of problems with them. I'm probably a little bit rougher on them than most, and I push them with Cummins power and get after it pretty good.

How about it, anyone else have experience with this combo before I make a move?

My next option is either a 10 ft box, a Daniels straight plow, or a Blue Diamond 12 ft blade.

Thanks for your input.

10. A Man

A Man Senior Member

I'd like to say that we have a cowboy operating it, but it just simply wouldn't be true. It's been operated by the same guy since new, an experienced operator that takes great pride in his work and machine. He actually cleans the machine by hand after each use, couldn't ask for a better operator. You might want to take a look at the 9' hiniker scoop plow, have a few friends running them on skids and they seem to like them. Steel trip box scraper you just can't go wrong with either. I think you're right about the Erie special, might consider one again if it came from them.

Good Luck

Good Luck

11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Honestly guys if your trashing the stock 8611, the Erie mods wont turn it into bullet proof battering ram. If a guy cracked the a-frame on an 8611, and blew out more then one cylinder on one I have a hard time believing he is not hard on equipment. If the frame cracked from bad manufactering then so be it, but an 8611 a-frame is built like a brick **** house, and no Hiniker product is going to hold up any better for sure. Maybe run a set of U-edges to soften the blows.

12. Mark Oomkes

Not sure, I think we're crossing wires. I got rid of the Blizzard joystick as it was a PITA to have the TC's joystick to raise and then the Blizzard's joystick to angle, move wings, etc. My dealer installed a manifold assembly off a stump grinder on the plow, now everything works off the TC's switches and joystick.

13. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

I'm not trashing, I just want to hear it all, the good and the bad. As for the switches, I'm told that the hydro part obviously is handled by the Bobcat hoses and the wing part can be handled by either a control in cab, or through the joystick switches by utilizing the 7-pin plug on the Bobcat. Only drawback to all this is unplugging manually for disconnect. Sounds like all these issues are handled, just need to decide how durable the overall machine is. Not knowing the product at all, sounds like I have some learning to do and according to other threads on here I may need a few spare parts. I don't expect it to be a battering ram but I don't want frame and cylinder issues at all. I won't be on this myself so the observation by the driver won't be nearly as good. Either way I appreciate all the comments, keep them coming. D-DAY is probably Monday.

14. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I take it your in columbus? I own 8611ss if you want to look at it come take a look. I also own pushers too. They all have thier place but im kind of fed up with the pushers scene! They are nice though because you can throw it on any thing and very easy to fix with the on site welder and a backhoe! LOL Its probably personal prefference mainly so if you want come out and take a look at both of them.
    PS I think my 8611 is the coolest plow I own!

15. Mark Oomkes

I ran 2 standard 8611's on 550's, one a flatbed, one with a spreader, so it was heavy, heavier than a SS. Neither were Erie Specials from day 1 and neither had the issues referred to. There have been some cheapened DD a-frames of late that are not holding up, but overall they are very strong plows.

I had a guy hit a curb very hard with one and only wrecked the truck side frame, did nothing to the plow itself. The bumper is still creased from the light bar hitting it.

16. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

You think that since this is an 8611SS (not as popular) that I could possibly get ahold of a Pre-DD plow, and if so how can I tell them apart?

17. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

Thanks, what end of town are you on? I'm up north by Polaris but all around town every day.

18. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I live out by buckeye lake not to far off of i70.

19. Mark Oomkes

Not exactly sure, but I know my SS (bought last year) was made in Calumet, so it was a pre-DD model. I would agree that the SS models probably aren't as big of sellers so the chances of finding one should be better.

20. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

We got a Daniels straight plow last year and I think it's great. While it only has a season under it's belt, I see no reason why it won't be bulletproof. Get the pusher kit and you have great capacity and it stacks great. The only downside compared to the Blizzard is it doesn't shrink down in size. I can't remember what we paid but I think it was around $7K.