1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 860 SideWing or Western Pro Plus 8' w/ Wings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TurfSolutionsMN, Feb 3, 2008.

1. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I will be purchasing one of these plows I am very interested in Blizzard, but I don't like the fact that the plow lights stay on the truck and service is an 1 1/2 hrs away. Western has a dealer 20 min away. What are some pro's or con's with both of these plows? Also what is the price on the pro plus 8' w/ wings? I have 29 residential accounts and 2 commercial lots (which I use my skid loader on). So I am new to the plowing world. Next year I want to have around 20 commercial lots. The plow will be going on a 2004 F250 5.4L.

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

most of the guys here say the 5.4in the 250s r dogs. so i think an 8ft straight would be alot of plow with wings. the light tower comes off of the truck its not stuck there. on the blizzard. westerns r quick and build sold u wouldnt go wrong with either

3. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

westerns r quick and build?? But the lights on the Blizzard stay on the truck when you take the plow off right?? So do you think an 860 SW would be to much?

4. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

The light tower stays on - however 2 pull pins & 2 electrical connections and it is off. Its not to bad to drive around with them on, I thought it would bother me but it does not.

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Your truck can handle both of those plows fine. You'll just need good ballast. I would think the speedwing would be abit more productive, but dealer service would impact my decision alot too.

6. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

Yeah, the Blizzard lights come off with 2 pins really fast. Don't let that detour you. At least there is no chain holding up the plow.

7. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

that could be bad if it breaks down o and my post befor i ment to say solid

8. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

Thanks everyone!! I have a chance to buy a used 860SW, the dealer bought it at the end of last winter for his truck and since they can get anymore. He would sell me his with w/ one year warranty for $4850.00 installed. Do you guys think Wester/ Fisher dealers would sell parts or be able to get them now since DD bought Blizzard?

9. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

There is a pin you can put in the plow if it breaks down to keep it in the up position so you can move it. No big deal there.

10. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

You could buy a new 860SW installed at that price, an 810 would only be a couple hundred more. My vote would be the speedwing, you'll move way more snow!