1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 8'6" speed wing or....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I was debating on getting a Blizzard 8' 6" speed wing set up or a BOSS 8' 2" Vblade and I was hoping maybe some one could point me in the right direction. I spoke with Jerry from Jerry's Service about the speed wing and it sounds like a great plow but the BOSS V also seemed like a great plow. I have only run a Meyer's 7.5 with pro wings in the past. Now we have an 06 F-250SD and I will be plowing on my own so what do you think the best plow might be for me. All of our accounts are smaller with the exception of a condo assoc. which isn't huge but its all up hill and clearing the usual parking spots and 15 driveways. One big thing is that I need to stack the snow fairly high on the top of the lot. Thanks in advance.

2. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

The blizzard will help you alot more than a Boss V.
    A much "faster plow" will move more snow than the Boss.
    I personally do not see the need for a V unless you are opening deep snow.

3. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I agree. The blizzard will also carry more snow. Personally I run the 810, I have never run the speedwing but saw my first one today at the dealership. Interesting concept. I prefer the functionality of the 810 but can see advantages to the speedwing in that it is a bit lighter and a bit simpler in design (a couple less hydraulics). Also a bit cheaper. Again, I haven't run one but have been very happy with my 810's.

4. jryden145

jryden145 Member

boss with wings will do it all, plus its better built.

j

5. Brian Young

Please keep your thoughts coming

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You state you need to stack high, unfortunately the Blizzards do not stack as well as other mfgs. Other than that, the Blizzard is the best option IMO.

From speaking with Jerre, I know things are different in your neck of the woods, but by me, plows are for plowing, loaders are for stacking. I don't beat up my truck and plow to get snow over the curb. The customer should have planned ahead with more parking knowing that they are building in snow country.

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with the blizzard 860sw first. Then a western MVP snowplow over a boss V. Way better design. :nod:

8. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Boss or Blizzard

You need to look at what type of plowing you will be doing the most. If you are doing alot of open lots and you need to move alot of snow than the 860SW would do that faster. Since you are going out on your own the faster the better. However if you are doing smaller lots and any banks with drive throughs the 8-2 would be faster since the 860 won't fit through a tight drive through lane. Another thing might be to keep your F150 with the smaller plow for the tight lots and a back-up truck and go with the 860 for all the other stuff. As far as the plows you can't go wrong with either one, both are well built. Like with every plow each has there own idiosyncrasies, dealer service and support may be the deciding factor.
    Good luck Adam

9. jryden145

jryden145 Member

We had two mvps, and had nothing but problems, pumps motors going bad, and we also cracked them all over. Not to mention they are ungodly slow. Just my expirences with them.

J

10. Mark Oomkes

Western and Fisher have new hydraulics this year. If you think Westerns crack, I have a few Boss V's that I can show you that are way, way worse. The trip edge design is far superior for a V than full moldboard trip.

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A trip edge is for plowing roads where the speed of the truck is higher and the chance of hitting a fixed object over 5" tall is nill.

A full trip is for plowing under 15mph and for plowing areas that have fixed obsticals over
    5" tall.

JMO...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  12. Mark Oomkes

You're not supposed to plow over 15 MPH with Fishers, Westerns or Boss.

I know we've had this discussion many times, but my experience with Boss and Fisher has shown to me that the trip edge is a far superior design for a V plow.

How many obstacles over 5" tall do you hit regularly? How many obstacles--manholes, catch basings, drains, uneven pavement--under 5" tall do you hit regularly? I'm going to estimate around 98% are under 5".

Also, when you hit something that hard or that high with a trip edge, do you know what happens?

13. Mad Mulcher

Mad Mulcher Member

Ok. I'll bite. I just bought a trip edge plow for my skid loader and I'd like to know just what does happen when you hit a taller object.:confused:

14. Mark Oomkes

The plow goes straight up in the air what seems to be about 10'. :eek: First time I did it, I needed a change of underwear, I could've sworn I saw daylight between my truck hood and the bottom of my plow. Lifted it up, angled back and forth, dropped and raised it, got out and looked around to make sure nothing was broken\bent\leaking and continued on. I've had it happen a couple time since then, exact same thing happens to me. This was with a Fisher chain mount, so not sure what happens with loader arms.

15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If stacking is that important, you won't regret the Boss V-plow. I regularly pile snow higher than the truck. Mine are both approaching 10 years old and I have no desire to replace them... in fact I only bought the second one used last year. Mind you, the older ones were built heavier it seems than the newer ones.

Both brands are quality pieces and with a little care and maintenance should have long and happy lives.

I still believe dealer support is important.

This is an age-old arguement that you can do a search on here and read people's opinions on each. Each brand has its own failure spots, so you should read up on them ahead of time so you can keep an eye on your own plow and catch any damage while it is small and easy to repair.

Best of luck with whichever plow you choose!

16. Brian Young

To answer a prior question, all of my lots are on a smaller scale. Some have tight turns and no place to really put the snow other than stacking it fairly high. In all of my contracts actual snow removal is mentioned so I don't have to get crazy with stacking but I'm afraid I will have to do a fair amount. I just remember a friend of mine who had his BOSS V on a F250 and he could stack that snow so high its as if he had a front loader,lol. I was just thinking the BOSS V would be good for me because I will be doing a lot of this by myself and that V would be very versatile. I've seen a lot of replies from Blizzard owners and only one BOSS owner... Where are all the BOSS people?

17. truckie36

truckie36 Member

The SpeedWings can stack it higher than your truck.payup

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  18. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We have wo MVPS also, lots of little problems - LOTS

19. SnoFarmer