1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 810's wings getting stuck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Nuttymopar, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

I have a 2003 Blizzard 810 and when the wings are out, they some times get stuck in that position. Not so much as when they are angled forward but just straight out. I take off the cover in the middle on the back and defrost all the snow and ice that gets built up and then they work great. I see on the new models that the cover is no longer there to possibly allow that stuff to come out by itself. I leave the cover off 1 storm to try that and it was worse needing to be de-iced a couple of times instead of just once. Easy to de-ice, I just plug my 110 BTU Salamander in and point it into the opening at the end, 15 minutes later, they are working. Thought about drilling holes in the bottom of the box to allow water to run off. Anybody else having problems like this. Also, the swing arm that PULLS the plow onto the mount sometimes gets real snowy & icy so I can not use that when putting the plow on. I heard to spread them apart a little (1/16") and it should be good. Haven't done that yet but it is a pain when you don't align up and I need to get a blowtorch to melt ice on that section. Just time consuming. Otherwise, plow works lovely.

2. igor176

igor176 Junior Member

I have the same plow and have not heard of or had any of the problems you speek of, I do alot of gravel drives and dirt roads and never had a wing jam. theres a guy on here by the name Jerry Heyer, he can tell you how to fix it he's a blizzard dealer and very helpful.

Eric.

3. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

Welcome to blizzard- I've had mine for almost a year now and ALWAYS the wings will pack with snow and not retract all of the way. Some times during the storm I dig the snow/ice out with a long screwdriver. I usually live with the plow until after everything is done and then head to the pressure washer and melt out the ice. This happens to the other guys blizzards that I know as well.
    PS i have the 8611

blizzardextup.jpg

4. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

That sure is a good looking plow...

5. sodking

sodking Member

Who is the dealer in NH?

6. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Start by removing the hose shields completely. I have never heard of this situation happening as of yet, but you should know that there are weep holes on the bottom of the plow box for water to seep out. You could open the holes up a little with a drill to make them bigger.

I have one customer who has 20 BLIZZARD 810's and 1 8611, i will see if he has had issues as mentioned. He has owned BLIZZARD plows since 1999 and loves the sh** out of them, he has not expressed such problems.

I'll ask tonight.

Hope I can help you further down the road.

7. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

I plan on taking off the hose shields. It scared me the first time that the wings froze because at first, thought it was broken for some reason. I didn't plow with it much last year due to installing a different motor in truck. Only got to use it 4 times for the whole year. But once I realized they were just frozen, Plow has been great. I just clean it up afterwards if they do stick and as good as new again. Thanks.

8. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

Dealers in NH- Portsmith Ford, Pro Image(I think) in Manchester and Weilder welding in Ringe

The plow doesn't look so nice and new now:rolleyes:

The one thing I don't like about the blizzard is the joystick/control box. Blizzard really needs to make it alot smaller so the controls can be attached to the truck and left year round. It's a pain to go under the dash connect the 2 wires any time you need to move the plow during the off season.

I think the plow also jams up with snow because of backdragging. Joel

9. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Last storm my 810 would go to the scoop postion and the 10' >the wings wouldn't go in ,but it only lasted about an hour.

10. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

That would make sense on the Back dragging part. I always try to have the wings in when doing that. I wish they would make a back drag for it.

not sure what you mean about the 2 wires under the dash. Mine was wired up with a complete plug unit that just sticks out from the dash underneath a little. I just tuck it up under the dash during the off season, pull it out during the season and place my joystick contoller in my console and plug in the connector to it. I built from a piece of wood, a block to fit perfectly in the little square section between the 2 cup holders and screwed that onto the controller box. Works great other then it takes up that little square section but I can live with that while plowing. In between storms, I disconnect and put behind my seat in a Milk Crate till the next storm comes rolling in. It still allows me to use my cup holders even when there.

11. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

I have the 2 plugs as well- but I have my controler mounted to the door so I can use my left hand to control the plow while driving shifting with my right.

12. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

I thought about trying to put the mount on the door also. I think I would cause an accident or something. Just couldn't get the hang of moving the plow while driving or moving :dizzy:

I now use my right for the plow and reach around to shift with my left. now I do it without thinking about it. Haven't hit anything yet doing it this way.

13. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

Another storm, another plowing. Just love it. Didn't have any problems this time around with the wings. Might have just been the type of storm brewing the last time causing them to clog. I say this because I installed some lights on the back of my cap but mounted high above the window but below a Wing that is mounted. The ligths never did get hooked up so they are not working just yet but I noticed during the last storm that they stayed clean and clear due to where they were mounted and I was pumped because I won't need to keep wiping them to see while backing up. Well, this storm (still not working) I noticed that they were totally covered all the time needing to be cleaned. 55W lights though so once connected, they should stay clean due to the little heat they put out. Plow just worked great though and makes plowing easy with the wings. Love It.

14. Nuttymopar,
    Are you sure that you have an 03' blizzard? It sounds like yours is an 02' model. I have an 03' and it does not have the covers that you mention. If there are 8 hydraulic lines for the wings than you have an 02' model. The 03's only have 4 lines due to fact that they only have one wing cylinder per side. I have not had any problems with the wings sticking but I have heard of the 02' and older models having this problem. Perhaps that is some of the reason for the design change. Good luck.

15. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Yup, used an 810 for 45hrs straight last storm in 20" of wet snow. Only problem I had was the plow tripping too much. Just tightened up the springs a little, and she's good to go. :cool:

16. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

I've just had my first major problems with the wings not fully retracting this last snowfall. I think maybe it could be due to the very dry type of snow (dust?) being able to get in the tiny crevices, since I'm very careful to not backdrag a lot. It happened last season on a very minor level, but nothing ever to be more than an irritation. This time they just flat wouldn't even move in at all--or they would slide inward just a little without folding back first and then fold back partially--or any combination of the above.
    My thoughts are since this year I've been parking in a heated shop at night, leaving again in the morning and, judging from the huge water puddles I have squeegeed out the door, I think there must be a lot of water remaining inside the little compartments that freezes again as soon as I go outside. Maybe if I angled the raised blade and let it drain out the ends good before I left....? Does anybody have any thoughts or ideas (solutions????) to this problem?
    But I guess it's very fortunate that the wings don't freeze in the retracted position because then I would be slowed down considerably by dealing again with an ordinary narrower straight blade (Didn't want to start anything but I just couldn't help throwing that in...I'm sorry--heh heh). It is a PITA being that wide when I don't want to be, but I still can plow ok.

17. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

your kidding not a blizzard i mean there the greatest plow on the road i wouldn't know i only have fisher meyers and western

18. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

The way I look at it. All plows are great. Beats shoveling for me...LOL
    Looking at the 2004 models, they have gotten rid of the covers on the back of the blade because of ice build up. They do have seep holes but too me, seem small. I haven't had any problems lately with the wings freezing up but next time, I do plan on increasing the size of the holes a little and taking off the covers to allow the snow & ice to slide out of them. I was washing out the wings on a regular basis after I am done plowing and just parking the truck. They would freeze. Now I wash them but drive around alittle to help dry them out and then put a heater on them for 5 minutes each to make sure. Not a problem since doing that. Truck stays outdoors as no garage. Not looking forward to our -15 degrees heading our way this week. Glad the block heater still works wonderful on this old diesel.

19. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

"Start by removing the hose shields completely. I have never heard of this situation happening as of yet, but you should know that there are weep holes on the bottom of the plow box for water to seep out. You could open the holes up a little with a drill to make them bigger.

I have one customer who has 20 BLIZZARD 810's and 1 8611, i will see if he has had issues as mentioned. He has owned BLIZZARD plows since 1999 and loves the sh** out of them, he has not expressed such problems."

.................................................................................................

Who are you kidding. The new 03-04 plows with the single cylinder probably do not have this problem BUT EVERY 02-03 and prior plow does.....

If you are plowing big snows. windrowing big piles, stacking big, or backdragging it will happen. After a big storm (18+) I can get almost 3-4 gallons of water to melt out of the plow.

Yes, taking the covers off helps, keep moving your wings in when you travel it helps minimize it.

It is really no big deal, unless you have a tight drive through or need to get into in 8' garage door.

Sure it is a design flaw that was fixed, but to totally deny any knowledge is ludicrous.

20. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

:drinkup:

Now I know why I like Howard so much. No pulled punches and no hidded agenda. Now to get him on a Polaris and it will be all right.

Your running an older model. Trash the back cover plates. You will have to clean it out or hit a carwash from time to time specially after a freezing rain/snow event with temps that drop in a hurry afterward.

It's a tool it needs a little TLC once and a while just like other tools. Take care of them and they treat you well.

We had alot of the first 4 years models with this problem. Various operators, various conditions and site use. All comes down to the same thing.

It goes up, It goes down, It swings left, It swings right. Everything else is BONUS. If it gets stuck at 10' it's still plowing snow. If it's at 8' it's still plowing snow.

Jerre

P.S. As far as the lift arm problem, Add a liberal amount of silicone grease or white lithium grease and it will help the problem by keeping the ice from building up.

From you post you're in cold snow country so you have alot of this build up. While your at it you could coat the slide box and wing inside with the same or use a little tranny fluid or hydraulic oil. Same thing here it will reduce build up. On the down side dirt loves it and clings.