1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 8100 pros & cons?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by LushLawns, Oct 12, 2011.

1. LushLawns

LushLawns Junior Member

I currently have a 97 F250 with a 8'-6" Hiniker V-Plow. I love the construction, durability, and reliability of this plow. If I had better dealer support in my area I'd buy another Hiniker.
    The two plows I am looking at are the Blizzard 8100 & the Western Wideout. I can get the Blizzard about $800.00 less than the Western. Is there any reason to spend the extra money? I have reseachered the heck out of this and I like as few of the westerns features like iys ability to tilit left and right for better scrape on uneven ground. I like the mounting system better on the Western since it is totally manual. I also wonder if there are any issues with the hydraulics on the Blizzard being mounted so low to the ground and in an area that take one heck of a beating during the snow removal process.

What are your experiences?

What are your thoughts?:help:
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

What truck? And yes that makes a difference.

The Western and the Blizzard use basically the same mounting system with the minor difference of the power hitch. The Blizzard scrapes and rolls the snow better as well and they have the metal cutting edges. I'd go Blizzard if dealer support is the same.
  3. LushLawns

LushLawns Junior Member

I have two trucks I could mount the 8100 plow on. One is an 89 Chevy 3500 Extened Cab 4x4 the other is a 04 Chevy 2500HD Extened 4x4. I have also thought about the blizzzard speed wing plows but I really think the back dragging may be an issue.
  4. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

I have an older 810 that has been incredibly reliable for 9 years now. They are pitched further forward and roll snow better, but they do not lift very high. I do not have any experience with the wide-out to compare though.
  5. lilweeds

The power hitch tends to sit lower on the gm trucks. Will it hit? Maybe I run one on my GM but it's the PH1 style. Speedwing is also a great plow (much lighter). Back draging works fine, and you can pin the wings straight.
  6. LushLawns

LushLawns Junior Member

Have you used a speed wing? The reason I ask is I know I will not pin back the wings to back drag unless there was an extremely good reason to get out of my warm truck and do so. Getting out of the truck also risks spilling my capachino. : ) I like the price of the speedwing and the weight savings would be nice. I just wander if the 1000 dollar difference between the 8100 & the speedwing is worth it. I don't mind spending money on good equipment. I like spending money on great equipment.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  7. lilweeds

The only plus to my 810 over my speedwing is the ability to get threw a drive thru easier. Otherwise they provide the same efficiency.
  8. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes Senior Member
    from NH

As a blizzard owner I would take a 8100 over a wideout. From what I've seen and heard the wideout is under constructed on the mold board. I bought my first 810 in 02. I still have it and use it every storm. The are one rugged plow and very heavy. We run ours on isuzu cabovers so the weight is not a issue. You will need to put timbrins on the chevy with independent suspension. As far as bottoming out it's the lift piston that will hit the ground. I have done it plenty of times and haven't broken the piston yet. But I do know people that have broke them. I would by a blizzard.
  9. LushLawns

LushLawns Junior Member

I appreciate the feed back. I just landed a big accout and I'm sure the Blizzards would work great. I recently had the opportunity to see a few of the blizzard plows and mounts on a couple of different trucks and I do see what you mean regarding the fact that they do mount fairly low. I agree my old 89 3500 will need those timberens for extra support. I can't but help be blown away by the fact that I believe plow guys are more loyal to their Equipment i.e. Boss, Blizzard than Chevy or ford folks ever though about being.

Western SUCKS!!! Boss ROCKS.... NOo NO get a Blizzard. LMAO! They all have pros and cons. Treat them well and most likely they will return the favor.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Hey Lush I have A 97f250HD need some more info on the Hiniker like you have looking at a Vee by them PM me please Thumbs Up
  11. kwc

kwc Junior Member

I would go with the blizzard it rolls snow better and if you plow on any thing other than pavement the western tilting side to side can really dig in when the ground is not frozen.