1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 810

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Bucdonkey, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Bucdonkey

Bucdonkey Junior Member

Does any one know if a Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 gas, can handle the blizzard 810 ?
    If so does it need any mods ?
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it can, no it does'nt.
  3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

be prepaired for major damage to the front end the plow is way to heavy. i have one on my truck.
  4. biga

biga Junior Member

yes it can but i would beef up the front end. i had to on my ford.
  5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

what kind of damage?
  6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i predict that in five years of heavy plowing with my 04hd the entire front end tranny and transfer case will be shot the engine will probably be worn out and basically the truck will be done
  7. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

so sell it in 4 1/2 years..haha, not your problem anymore
  8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

So, will five years of heavy plowing with an 8 foot straight blade not harm anything or wear anything out?
  9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

biga was the only person who gave a correct answer.

You will need to beef up the front end, timbrens and turn up the torsion bars. I would personally use at least 1000 LBS of ballest to counter the weight of the plow.

I think its pushing it to say the truck will be destroyed in 4 years. It depends on how you drive it but if your destroying trucks in 4 years we have a problem.

Its a 3/4 ton HD thats what they are made for. I believe you can mount an 810 with out exceeding load and axle ratings so your all set if you have the right mods. Any truck even an F-350 is going to feel the 810, you just have to adjust accordingly. I have seen 810s of 2500 HD crew cab diesels before and the front end was not sagging.

I think its a false perception that IFS front ends will not handle any kind of weight. They can handle just as much as a ford if set up right.
  10. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

dirt digger i plan on selling my truck in 5 years i just don't want other people thinking they can throw a 1200lb plow on there truck and it will last ten years it ways twice what a western ways. chris i don't think youre input matters if you don't have experiance with the plow
  11. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

further more chris youre only 18 and don't no what youre talking about the 810 is way over the axle capacity. but really i dont want to start a fight do what you want with your trucks but i promise you 4 years from now we will all be talking about how hard the 810 is on are trucks
  12. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I wouldnt worry about the transfercase;) Also dont see the entire front end being shot;) I ran a 9.5' fisher with edges and a deflector on my truck for 55k miles and the entire factory instelled front end was fine and nice and tight(or as tight as it ever was) If I didnt blow up my transfer case doing boosted launches with nitrous out 60' ing mustangs with slicks then I dont think my transfer case will mind a bit of snow. Actually with proper ballast I run in 2wd most of the time. Plowing snow is actually a break to what my truck sees in the summer I think LOL. And this is with the heavy assed diesel.

I am putting a 810 on my truck(pulling the 9.5 off tonight) and it should handle the blade fine. Timbrens and 1k #'s of ballast will be VERY important but other than that it should handle it no problem.

I agree with Chris....even if he is only 18:rolleyes:

IMO if you have the 4800# front end, proper ballast and timbrens you will have snow moving ANIMAL and your truck will be just fine:cool:
  13. MichiganPlowMan

MichiganPlowMan Junior Member

I put a 810 on my 04 Dodge 2500HD last winter this spring I needed new ball joints new universal joints on the axles and driveshafts and a new control arm. This year I have increased my ballast to 1000 lbs last year I only had 700 lbs and the plow weighs in at 950 lbs. Learning as I go but at least my extended warranty covered the damage.
  14. beungood

beungood Member

fleet owner likes them

I bumped into the owner of a pool company who plows during the winter and has mostly Chevy and GMC 2500HD,3500 HD utility bodies and he couldn't say enough about how much he liked them. I asked if he had any problems and he repleid no, that he liked them way more than the two brands he ran before and he also said they seemed to last longer also.

15. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

My ford just hit 27k miles and had a noise in the front end from the 4*4 hub. I took it in and they said they had to replace the entire front end all universals, ball joints stabilizers etc. All under warranty but i asked if it was common they replied yea every 30k or so miles. Btw this truck is a 2004 and has had an 8 ft xblade on it for less than a year.
  16. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Every 30k?!?!? That sounds outrageous! :eek:
  17. MichiganPlowMan

MichiganPlowMan Junior Member

My truck had 42000 on it when I had all the work done to it. I complained to the dealer that with the plow package and it being a HD why should they wear out so fast. Of course his answer was the same as every other problem Ive had with that truck, "I dunno we don't see many of these in here". I've driven Dodge for the last 20 years and the one Im happiest with is sitting in the driveway with a blown engine because it took 155,000 miles of hard abuse to get there. Maybe its time to consider a change of brands.
  18. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

michigan.. dodge's are notorious for having weak front ends, goes back to the old ones. that being said... anything added to the front end of your truck will increase wear and tear, but like everyone else says use ballast and common sense and with routine maintenance a plow truck will last a long time.