1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 810

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cfdff85, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

Hello Everyone,
    I was wondering, I haven't had that much time to call a dealer so why not ask you guys. Umm... well I noticed the Blizzard 810 plow looks and appears to perform awesomely but among other things it weight 960LBS complete if this too heavy for a 3/4 Chevy with a crew and a short bed?
    Anyone have any PROS/CONS concerning Blizzard Plows? of more importantly the 810?
    Thank you
    Joe :waving:

2. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

First off let me say that there have been numerous topics on the 810, so you might want to run a search, as you'll read numerous topics about them. To answer your question though, you'll def be pushing the limits of your truck with an 810. You didn't mention if you had the duramax or not, so that will factor greatly as to how well your truck will handle the added weight. You'll need Timbrens and prob need to turn your torsion bars up 5-6 turns as well. Also, you'll be required to run a good amount of ballast in the bed to help offset the weight of the plow. I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions, but I'm just going off of others info about the questions you just asked.

3. dubster23

dubster23 Junior Member

Blizzard on 3/4 ton chevy

My buddy has a 810 mounted on his 2500HD with (I think it's 6.0 liter) and he just turns up those torsion bars and he loves it. Like prev. stated you can search and find a slew of info these. Good Luck!

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Is this a 2500(3/4 ton) or a 2500HD(one ton)? A newer truck I assume? What motor?

You technicaly wount be "legal" regardless but your truck may handle it depending on what you got......

5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I run an 810 on a 3500 GMC crew cab and long bed. Same front end as a 2500. It's great.

6. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

Its a 2500 Hd 3/4 ton. It does not have the duramax, it has the 6.0L 364ci. Also what do you mean by "You technically wont be "legal" regardless"?

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

A 2500HD front end is stronger than my 3500,.

8. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

Timbrens?

Hey I noticed alot of you guys are talking about Timbrens? what are they where and how much can i get them? IF I NEED THEM?

9. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

My brother has a 810 on his 2500hd. Heck, Its a chevy, you could run an 8611.I put a 810 on my 3500 dump truck and almost regret not going bigger.Awesome parking lot plow. Scrapes great. Almost too good on gravel drives.

10. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

You have to be kidding! lol - chevies are the most notorious trucks for front end sagging. I think the front bumper would scrape ground if he put an 8611 on it :nono:

I have a 2002 2500HD with a fisher X-blade that I installed about two weeks ago. In my opinion it sags alot more than I thought it would and the X-blade weighs less than the 810. If you get the 810 you will definately need timbrens, alot of balast and to crank your torsion bars like the others have mentioned. The above will not be optional with a plow of that weight.

I would not run an 810 on that truck personally, but others are doing it and are happy with its preformance. This is just my opinion from personal experiece with a 2500HD with a plow.

-Greg

11. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

You will NEED them if you go with the 810.

www.timbren.com

They are about $155.00

-Greg Carnrick

12. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

Would I have to put Timbrens in both front and rear or just the front?

13. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Just the front....The 810 is a great plow.

14. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Did you adjust your torsion bars???? We have no problems with front end sag with plows on. We put 1 turn on the bars for every 125 lbs. of plow weight. Come spring turn them back down and have a soft ride....

15. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

I have an 810 on a 3500 standard cab with a 1.8 yd spreader on the flatbed. With 4000# of gravel in the hopper behind me the performance is totally awesome. When it's empty I have to be very careful that I don't scrape the power-hitch arm on the pavement. I have the torsion bars cranked 2-1/2 turns, but if I go any more the hitch will be too high to be able to use the plow on my spare truck--also a 3500 but with leaf springs--so my solution is to install the stiffest HD torsion bars I could order. They came in yesterday and they're going on tomorrow. Who wants a smooth ride anyway?

16. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

a 2500HD is a one ton. You wont be "legal" in terms of you will be over your FAWR or I am betting anwho. Wether that bothers you or not is up to you. Do you have the 4800# FAWR i hope and assume?

I run a Duramax allison with a 9.5' v blade. I run the right amount of ballast and timbrens and 3/4" of a t bar crank(I did before I installed the plow to level things a bit) and am running 265 tires. My truck handles the blade excellent!

17. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I did 4 turns recently but haven't gotten out of the truck to actually look at the drop. In stock form the truck sags alot.

The biggest problem is hitting a "dip" in the road which causes the suspension to compress and the plow to scrape. I think the timbrens would make a big difference as they did in my chevy 3500

-Greg

18. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if you have a diesel and either a crew cab or extended cab, i hope your front end is stronger than 4800 lbs. you will be about 1000 lbs over that with a blizzard, or any plow that wieghs that much.

19. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

I hate to sit here and bicker with you, but my truck is a 2500HD and it is a 3/4 ton. I have a letter from chevy about the truck if I have to show you, as far as i was told and what chevy is telling me is is a 3/4 not 1-ton. My FAWR is 4610 (once again as long is chevy told me the correct information.)

How do you like your duramax?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  20. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

The 2500HD has the capacities of a 3500 "1-ton" truck while the 2500 model has the capacities more like a typical 3/4 ton truck.

That is what was meant by "your truck is a 1-ton". Many people would say that the 2500HD is a SRW 3500 when the 3500 was only available in a DRW configuration.

-Greg