1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 810

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rtm038, Jan 14, 2004.

1. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Hello all,
    I got my new Blizzard 810 installed on my 2004 Dodge Ram 3500HD Cummins the other day and I have some questions. In the video (CD Rom) that Blizzard sent me, the Power Hitch features 2 springs mounted between the A-frame latch pin and the "finger" points. Mine doesn't have these springs and my pins aren't as long as the pins shown on the video, so I could add them anyways. Did Blizzard change this design? The reason I ask is because when I go to mount the plow, the Power Hitch doesn't seem to be working like I think it should. On my set-up, after driving into the plow with lift arm lowered and "fingers" rotated downwards and lowering the A-frame latch pin, the arm starts to move upwards and "fingers" immediately begin to rotate upwards. The problem is that the fingers move faster than the arm and end up hitting the underside of the pushbeam. In the video, the arm equipped with the springs raises first, makes contact with the bottom of the pushbeam, then fingers rotate upwards and draw the plow into the truck. The only way to get my plow mounted is to drive into the plow completely, then raise the arm and install the pins. When you drive the truck completely into the plow and raise the arm, the "fingers" clear the back of the pushbeam no problem. However, after partially driving into the plow, you can place a wrench on the face of the "fingers", raise the arm and fingers will not rotate upwards, as the arm travels upwards towards the pushbeam. Just before the arm reaches the underside of the pushbeam, take away the resistance (i.e. the wrench) and the "fingers" will begin to rotate, engage the rear of the pushbeam and draw the plow to truck. Any ideas as to why my plow is acting this way or is it normal?

Thanks
    Ryan

P.S. If this is a confusing post, I'm apologize in advance.

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

The video and brochure show a spring but they are outdated. There is no spring on newer models. First, before I diagnose your problem I would ask did you install it yourself or is this the first time the plow has been mounted since you brought it home?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  3. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I had a dealer install it and this is the first time I've mounted the plow since bring it home.

Ryan

4. Bolts Indus.

That being the case then your drawlatch is assembled wrong. The two inner plates that attach to the lift/ attach piston are reversed. This causes the wrong action on the arm as you stated.
    This is a common mistake by first installers. If you need any further help then Pm me. Needless to say it may be difficult to take it back so they will have to come get it or fix it at your site. Takes about 15 min.

5. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Bosts Indus
    Having a dealer or rep like you, makes me wish I had a Blizzard. I have a Meyer, no complaints. It's just refreshing to find someone who has your passion and drive, and never has anything negative to say and does not bash every post that comes on about different equipement. I think that alot of guys that come on here have trouble associating with the fact that not everybody that belongs here or posts here is concerned about plowing 12 Wal-Mart parking lots, 3 factory's and 10 apartment complexes every thime it snows. Also not everybody has unlimited bank accounts. Just my .02 cents worth.

6. Bolts Indus.

Well thank You. When I was young a lot of ppl helped me and I let them do the talking and I did the listening. Found out I could learn more that way. We all start small and still am. The pleasure is in the helping when we can.

PS: We can fix you up with a Blizzard. Will deliver this summer. Be a nice trip.

7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Bolts Indus
    Your welcome, I agree 100%. I'm not 22 anymore, however I still listen, even to 22 year olds if they are informing me about something that I have never done or have no experience with, and they have.

8. Bolts Indus.

rtm038 must be calling his dealer or out fixing it himself, he hasn't posted back. That installer is going to blush a little. I know I did first time.

9. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

isnt that why God gave us two ears and one mouth. i've found that principal works pretty much all the time.

10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Hey Bolts,
    Even though I swear by Boss plows, I was thinking about getting a Blizzard 810 on my next truck. One thing that is keeping me from doing this is that the light rack doesn't come off. Do you know if and when Blizzard is going to design a plow where it does come off?

11. Bolts Indus.

THE BOSS

At present the light bar on the new model can be removed separate from the plow by pulling 2 snap pins and lifting it off. Takes 30 seconds. Blizzard is working on a design for mounting directly on the plow, but it is difficult with the power hitch system.

12. Bolts Indus.

rtm038

How did you make out with the problem?

13. dieseldave

dieseldave Junior Member
    from avon,ma

I Think if you tighten the bolt that attaches the pawl it will be ok. it wants alot of friction at that joint.

14. Bolts Indus.

Take my word for it. The drawlatch is assembled wrong. It's an easy mistake to make. When the drawlatch is apart the connecting plates look like they can go back in any way,but they can't. Remember this if you ever take it apart for greasing or maintenance. Mark the plates.

15. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks Bolts Indus for all your help. Sorry for the delay, but i haven't been able to log on for a bit. I'm gonna go out and look at the inner plates myself and just compare it to the illustrations in the install manual I got from the dealer. Just to kind of clarify my original post, I can mount the plow with the way it is now, I just have to drive completely into it first.

Thanks again for the help.
    Ryan

16. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Bolts Indus.
    I looked over the assembly and compared it to the illustrations in the manual and they look like they're properly installed. Unless, there is some sort of mistake in the illustrations.

On another note. Have you done any installs on the new Rams? If so, on a 3500, how low are you mounting the pushbeam? Are you aligning the lower bolt holes on the pushbeam with lowest bolt holes on the side plates. The reason I ask is when I brought my truck home, this is how the installer did mine and the plow would bottom-out BAD every time I would turn into a driveway or parking lot. I consulted the manual which stated that the hitch pin holes on the A-frame should be about 12.5" off level ground. When I measured mine, with the plow dismounted from the truck on level ground, the holes were about 11.5" from the ground. So, I raised the pushbeam up one hole, which has cured the bottoming-out problem and the holes are now 12.5" off the level ground. Just wondering how you, an installer, are doing it and whether or not this was the right thing to do.

Thanks
    Ryan

17. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Problem solved......:D :D! I put in a call to my installer and he said to check the tightness of the bolt that mounts the finger to the arm. He said if the bolt is too loose, the fingers will begin to rotate before the arm raises. Well, I tightened the bolt just a little, and now the hitch operates perfectly every time. Thanks everyone for the help, especially Bolts Indus.

Ryan

18. Bolts Indus.

Dieseldave was right on that one. Missed that one because I check everything twice when I do an install, ( Fussy ) because I don't want my customers to have bad impression first time they try and use it and saves time and money when they don't have to come back.. Everyday I learn something.

Thanks dieseldave.

19. SYL

SYL Junior Member
    from ottawa

Bolts Indus.

You provide a lot of valuable help, support and information but that's what I expect from a Canadian hey!! ;)

sly.

20. Bolts Indus.

Thanks syl: " I AM CANADIAN "