1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 810 wing problem (Spring)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Nuttymopar, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

Well, just got back from a quick plow job and notice that my right wing is stuck out and slightly hanging. I think the spring (have read a few about this) must have broken. How can one fix this as I do not have warranty anymore (2nd winter using)? With the wing fully extended, I can see what looks like the box starting to come out of the plow. I don't see any springs in there at all? Does one need to take the whole thing apart?
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Yes you will have to take it apart. If you haven't broke anything else you could retract the wing and still use.
  3. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

I don't think I have broken anything else as I did lift the wing back into the plow a little and then it retracted without a problem. Just got to figure out on what to take apart. Doing everything out doors (3 degrees currently... :cry: ). It only looks like I can take the little door off (by middle of plow) and get to the piston. I don't see anything by the wing to take off. I tried calling dealer at home but no answer, oh well. Time to get cold. Thanks.
  4. MN Wildwood

MN Wildwood Junior Member
    from MN

I have a blizzard 810 plow and have had similar problems with wings not going in or out at times. It has been because of ice build up forming inside and freezing things up. Usually I tap the edge of the blade on a curb and it will loosen up.
  5. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

Well, looks like it is time to purchase a new piston for my right wing. I did some work on it yesterday and after pulling out the wing I noticed that the piston inside has broken off that retracts the wing when it is all the way forward (cupped). I didn't pull the whole thing out but I didn't see any springs, just a piston with the broken part. Put it all back together and will probably leave it that way until spring time. It still extends and restracts but just doesn't flip forward anymore. Probably try welding first before purchase (not sure of the $$ involved) but too cold to be doing this outdoors now.
  6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

older version 810

It sounds like you have the older version of the 810 which uses 2 cylinders per wing, one to extend, one to swing it forward, there are no springs in the wing.

The wings are not real difficult to disassemble, but they take a little time.
    You may have just sheared a pin. Why don't you post a pic of what you can see.

I have had one wing off on my plow due to a hose failure. Only problem in 3 years, and it was due to my hitting a gas lid pretty hard.

As to cost, a new wing cylinder is I think about 250

Keep us posted.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  7. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

Nuttymopar, I don't think that your piston is broke. How else would the wing move in and out. At least thats what your saying, right? If I'm reading your post right the wing will not pitch forward at all. If thats the case you might have more than a spring prob. Do you have a garage or basement to work on wing? If you do, take wing entirely off and carry inside to work on. If you get that far the piston is in the center of the box looking in that opening. You said you didn't see any spring? The spring is either above or below the piston. Look for the spring adjustment bolt similar to the threaded rod that your trip springs have, at the end of the box where the piston sticks out, if you can easily move and wiggle around the you have a broken spring. If the spring is broken go to your dealer and get two springs, better yet three springs with the threaded hook adjusters. If you do that put two of the springs back in, one on top and one below if you look there is already a hole to stick the threaded adjuster already there. This is a better way your wing will be stronger and won't flip forward as easily when backdraging. If you have any further ?? just ask.

8. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

I agree with FastJohnny. I only took off the piston but didn't disconnect the lines going to it so I only was able to pull it out about 5 inches at the most. I did look down and saw where the piston was broken in 2 right at the piston mount or shock mount??? (where it connects to the rod on the wing). The wing just flaps in the breeze right now. But yet it still extends and retracts so I am betting I have the older plow that has 2 pistons, 1 for that and 1 for wing to flip out and back in. Since I don't really need to use the wing a lot, I plan on waiting until spring time to replace that piston. In the mean time, a bungee cord works great from keeping the wing straight and not flapping. I still extend it out (about 1/2 way) which allows me to capture more snow then not having it out.
    It looks like if I disconnect the lines, it should just slide right out and then work on it wherever. But, that would put the plow out of use for now in snow weather.

Oh, I think it broke when they were extended, driving backwards and as I turn the truck, that right wing caught onto a snowbank (probable ice bank) and yanked it backwards. That is the only way I can guess it broke it.

Thanks for all the replies.

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the only thing with waiting till spring to fix your plow is you might do more damage waiting. You might damage the plow or who knows what else by not fixing it now.
  10. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

If you keep the wing tucked in, no further damage can occur.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  11. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

I heard back from my dealer and it will only be about $80 to get a new piston. Still, with it being -20 deg. at my house this morning. I see me waiting until all of this white stuff is long gone. I have bungee corded it to the plow so the wing is not flopping around and it still extends and retracts without a problem so I see me waiting until then to fix it. Mine is the older plow with 2 pistons and no springs, so other then the broken piston flopping around a little, there will be no damage.

Thanks to all.