1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 810 Upgrades

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by OC&D, Jan 26, 2010.

1. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I thought you folks might find this interesting. One of my angle cylinders started leaking a few snowfalls ago and the other one had the wiper pulling out of it. I checked to see what the dealer wanted for new cylinders and I was shocked to find out they wanted $285 a piece! I bought these which are larger for $75 a piece and modified the plow to accommodate them. They actually have a 12" stroke and a 2" ram versus the 10" and 1.75" that the stock ones have. I also added angle stops which you can't see in the pics. They are just big nuts welded on top of the A frame on either side.

I also fabbed a door mount for my controller. I did that when I originally bought it. It's just made out of stainless plate. I bought a plastic project box at Radio Shack and transferred the switches into it and bolted it on my "cupholder" mount. I hate operating my plow controls on the right....so every plow/truck setup I've ever owned I've made door mount controls for it in some way. I've had to get a little more creative with the Super Duty trucks because I still need to be able to operate the window switches!

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

You may also want to add stops on the bottom side also. It keeps the frame from twisting when it hits the stop.
  3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I like it. I wonder if you had moved the cylinder mount back an inch instead of the whole two, if you wouldn't have needed stops. Seems like the cylinder would have had enough range of motion but wouldn't have been able to pull out like the factory design allows.

I am getting ready to weld on some stops, (among other things), thanks for the tip Mark, I wouldn't have thought about putting them underneath too. Maybe I could blow some holes thru and put in a bolt and nut. Probably too much work.
  4. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

That's a good idea. I think I'll take that advice and do the same thing on the bottom. My original idea for a stop was a little more elaborate, calling for adding a vertical piece to the side of the A frame, but I got tired of messing with it by that point and lazed out with the bolts on top.

I had to go the whole 2" (actually it ended up being like 2 1/4") because the cylinders would have bottomed out before they reached full angle. I would have added stops anyhow because three of the four pins I took out were bent. One was so bad I had to sawzall the thing in two to get it out. It was a real PITA. After that I decided I'm done running this thing without angle stops. As it is set up right now, each cylinder is almost(like 1/8-1/4" shy) bottomed out when fully angled.

BTW, the red fluid in the snow is from the previous leak!
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  5. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Looks Good nice mod
  6. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Well, I traded the old Blizzard in with the truck this past spring. No more trolling the Blizzard forum for me. Good luck this winter, particularly when it comes to those finicky Blizzard plows!
  7. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Switch to Boss now ???

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
  8. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Nope. I went back to a Leo. http://www.truckutilities.com/Leo-Snow-Plows

A straight blade, but they're virtually bullet-proof. I'm going to fabricate some sort of manual wings for it when I get time. I'll post a video about my setup when I get a chance.