1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 810 power hitch stuck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by griffithtlc, Sep 21, 2003.

1. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

:help: We just bought a Blizzard 810 for our dodge, and installed it ourself. when we went to hook up the plow, the power hitch drew in just fine, we put the pins in, but we couldn't get the a-frame latch to unlock. We had to do some work with a jack just to separate the two. Now the power hitch is stuck, and the hydraulics aren't moving it. Does anyone have any idea how to unstick it? It came at a terrible time, as we were going to use the plow for some marketing tomarrow.

2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Jerre will probably chime in but...

How is the fluid level? Check your fittings on the lift cylinder as they have the most tendency to loosen up with use. The cylinder has those funky elbows on them. Make sure all connections are tight. I assume you are getting left/right??

I found that the lift is first to go with low fluid levels. The motor spins correct?

Let me know. I am here LATE (1 am mountain time). I'll hopefully be able to get you going in a minute or two.

If it is not this, I have other ideas.

Howard
    719 486 8297

3. griffithtlc

howard,
    The fluid is fine, and all functions work except for the lift/connect, because the a frame latch is just locked down. I tried punching it out with a hammer, and it doesn't budge. The entire thing is just locked. The ram seemed to bend the draw pin. It looks like the inner latch plate (that the ram attatches to) is binding on the draw pin. any ideas?

4. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Is this first time on and off? When you set up the "hook" part are you sure you got the plates in the correct direction?

5. griffithtlc

yes, this was the first time. We have the plates just like they are in the book. However, when we hooked it up, it didn't take the same path as it did in the movie that Blizzard sent me. Maybe the plates need to be switched around? Do you have any idea how to remove the power hitch-the tricky part its that the a frame latch is locked down, so we can't access the pins. Do we have to cut the draw pin that is holding the latch down?

6. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I am pondering this one, I don't have plow in front me at the brewery:drinkup:

I would bet that it is possible that the plates are reversed somehow. I did it the first time and the path was messed up, but it did not lock it one position. If you relieve hyro pressure, you should be able to move everything by hand.

I have not seen a new manual, but the 2002 manual was not very clear on this subject..

I wouldn't cut or do anything that drastic. I put mine together in a snowstorm and got it working so I think that I can get you to your clients tommorrow. I will take some pictures when I go home and post them here for you.

If you want to talk to me don't hesitate to call me at the pub 719 486 8297

Howard

7. griffithtlc

Howard, I am sending you a couple of pics of the situation. In a bit, after you have seen them, I'll give you a call.

8. griffithtlc

here is the bent pin

pin.jpg

9. griffithtlc

here is the position it is stuck in

plow.jpg

10. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

My memory is failing, I will have to look at mine. (Spent 7 hours working on top of 13,200 foot moutain today with 50-60 mph winds, then came to my other job and waited on customers for 6 hours)

I will get with you in the am.

Howard

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Is the pin that's bent the one the A frame latch drops down on?

12. griffithtlc

Yes, the bent pin is the one the A-frame latch drops onto. We got the pin out, and switched the innermost plates, like Howard said, and it worked fine when moved by hand. We went to hook it up to the truck, and we missed the push beem. so we hit the disconnect switch, and nothing happens. This time, the plates locked again, to where we can't just flip them up. When you hit the disconnect switch, should the power hitch just fall back down, or does it need a lot of weight on it? When it is hooked up to the truck, does it just fall away? Ours doesn't do anything, the pump runs, but the hitch doesn't fall away. I give up for tonight, be back at it tomarrow.

13. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

We had the same problem right after assembly. It was finally figured out that the valve that adjusts the drop speed was in too far from the factory. We turned the valve OUT nearly all the way and it worked. We then turned it back in to the desired drop speed. This is the valve with the finger knob. NOT the one that requires the allen head wrench. good luck.

14. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Matt,I hope you get it worked out. Make sure your truck has had this recall done.It is especially important since the blizzard is one heavy plow,combined with the weight of the heavy Cummins. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/835.htm.

15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I spoke with Jerre, he'll be on this evening to try to help.

In the mean time, he suggested the flow valve be checked as well. The piston for the hoist is double action and should withdraw the latch under power. If your pump sounds as if it is under a load, the valve is probably closed.

He also stated that once the plow is drawn in to the truck frame, the A frame latch should be released before the plow is lifted. He thinks this may be how the pin was bent.

16. griffithtlc

:D :D :D It worked! We tried Highpoints advice, and now the hitch is fully functional. Thanks a lot guys-it's not just anywhre where you can get expert advice at 2 in the morning! John, I'll be sure and check for the tower recall. Thanks for the heads up.

17. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

YIPPIE !:D

18. Santo

Santo Banned

???

19. Santo

Santo Banned

Could this be just a minor malfunction, like meyers??? Or could it be the installer?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2003
  20. griffithtlc

Santo-we'll call it user error. It was a combination of wanting to get the plow going, and the fact that it was 2 AM and we were frusterated. We wanted to see if the cylinder would move, so we tried anything. Unfortunatley, this included trying to raise/lower with the latch down :eek: just like Jerre said. But we straightened the pin, and everything works. Lif is good again:salute: