1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 810 or Any V-Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 93CobraCPR, Oct 24, 2004.

1. 93CobraCPR

93CobraCPR Junior Member

I'm trying to decide if blizzard 810 is best for me. I will be doing country driveways (approx. 400-600 ft) and wondered if blizzard would push to angled side (like straight blade do) during long/drifted runs.
  2. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

I don't have a Blizzard but have looked at them. Sure they angle to either side.
  3. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

A Blizzard is essentially a straight blade, just with power Pro Wings. It will hydroturn just like any other straight blade, but have more snow moving options. Go to www.blizzardplows.com and check out the video footage. You'll like what you see. :waving:
  4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe you'd be best off with a straight blade plow and a side wing. More $$$$ though.
  5. intlco

intlco Senior Member

A v-plow might work best on county drives.
  6. 93CobraCPR

93CobraCPR Junior Member

I just bought the 810ss for Bobcat S250. We just need SNOW!!!
  7. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

This is an aged old question. This is a decision that you are going to have to make for youself. It's like Ford vs Chevy. Here is the challenge, you have to evaluate what works best for you.

The Blizzard is going to do a better job on windrowing due to the fact that with the wings extended your going to be able to take larger swipes. Also, with the wings in position to scoop; you could move more snow as it provides a larger area for catching snow.

The Boss V (as I'll just speak to this as it is the one I'm looking at) provides a nice V option that the Blizzard does not. You have to decide in your area if you need to break though bigger drifts. If so, this is a great option. Also, if you are moving snow from one area to another the V is also good at doing this but if your doing larger lots the Blizzard offers more surface area to move snow.

Good luck with your choice

You have to look at what is going to work for your situation. Look at the driveways or lots and decide where your going to be putting the snow and how your going to attack the job. Which plow will suit your needs. Each person on this board has a different situation and different needs. There is no one plow for everone; each has it's advantages.

This is really the quesiton I have been asking myself as I am going to be purchasing a new truck/plow combination next year.
  8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

If all I were doing was narrow drive ways like you stated, I would save the extra cash and just buy a straight blade and put on a set of prowings.
  9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

What I believe Cobra is asking is when the snow's real deep, when breaking trail down a long driveway, a straight blade is going to steer in the direction of angle. Where a V plow will track straight with less effort by the truck.

Also I feel the snow carrying capacity of an 810 Blizzard and a 9.2 or 9.6 V to be fairly similar.
  10. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

This may be somewhat true but it is a mixed blessing in reality. If your vehical is heavy enough for the size straight blade in use (like a heavily load 3/4 or 1 ton with a 8 footer) deflection will not really be a issue and it never has been for me and while in theory you can bust through drifts a bit better with a multi vee you also need to stack the snow downwind (which a Vee will not do in a vee setting) on long drives or lanes to minimize drifting filling it back in quickly and get to be a vicious cycle so it really can be a crap shoot. I always push it downwind and move stack over too when possible to make room for more snow. I have never not been able to clear a lane for the lack of a Vee and if your blade is designed right that you can get and keep a good rolling action, you can handle some pretty deep snow with a straight blade. Straight blades that do not roll well will not perform well in real deep snow either.
  11. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

TLS, I wasn't talking of the larger Boss but the smaller one. I didn't have enough specifics as to the situation and my comments were more general of the pro's and con's of each situation.

I like the Boss myself; I'm still considering it as my first option but not sure that the 9 footer isn't too big for the 2500 Chevy Duramax or 250SD PSD are the two trucks I'm considering.