1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 810 On Ram Diesel

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by dieseltroop, May 23, 2005.

1. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

I have been looking at possibly putting on a plow on my 2001 Dodge 3/4 ton Diesel with a quad cab; long box for well over a year now. I really like what that blizzard 810 has to offer. I have heard that a plow that heavy is too heavy for a 3/4 ton with a diesel, and then have heard that the truck supports it just fine. I would like to know from the guys who have a Ram similar to my truck and tell me what they noticed; both good and bad with a blizzard 810 hanging on there, and how it operated. I know I've got a 5200 lb. axle rating, which with that rating makes me a little nervous hanging a 950 lb plow on there, not to mention the extra weight that the plow/.truck will experience when you get to the end of the run each time to stack the snow as the plow raises. I know the tires can support a little over 6000 lbs. Someone know for sure on what springs are on the 3/4 ton Ram Diesels, and any need for timbrens at all. Thanks for any and all replies. Hopefully it will help in my snowplow decision. by the way any Officers replying to this, tell me how you are able to plow and work full time as an officer. That's the other dilemma in choosing whether or not to hang a plow on my truck. Thanks again.

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The front springs are the strongest Dodge makes already- you will need timbrins. The quadcab REALLY cuts down the plowing possibilities- DC does not like them to be plowed. Can you mount a plow, especially such a heavy unit- sure. Will you be able to find a dealer that will do it- probabily. Is it a good idea- possibly not. Would DC void you're warranty- possible- depends on what went wrong.

you WILL wear out the front end faster with such weight on it- track bar ends, tie rods, ball joints, bearings. Wheel bearings are expensive and not designed for that kind of load.

What are you hoping to plow? a QC Long bed is a LONG truck- especially for plowing. It is too long for residential use (remember you're adding another 3+ feet of plow to the front end- it gets looooong fast).

Not sure what else I can offer, but I know no officers around me plow- a few firemen do, but no officers. If there's a storm they are all on duty.

3. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Well when and if I put a plow on my truck I would be plowing for a company that I used to work for before doing my current occupation. I worked for them for about 5 years when I was in school. It would probably be a combination of residential and commercial lots. I haven't totally rulled out the Blizzard 860. Sounds like that one is a great plow too, and is about 186 lbs. lighter at 765 lbs. I just like the feature of that 810 with the wings and how you can use the whole plow basically. Seems like a real time saver to me.

4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

maybe the new 810's are lighter if you are looking at one with out the hydraulic wings. my 810 ways 1200lbs it is a great plow but really only shines on large commercial lots i would go with a straight blade plow if you are thinking of residential and if you are working for another company you are probably getting paid by the hour so why put the extra wear and tear on your truck.

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

DieselTroop , the largest plow you can legally hang on your front end is a 7'6" straight. Not much plow but its all about the weight.
    Just got literature from Blizzard today the 810 weighs 950 pounds complete.
    There 860 is 765 #s , and the 800 weighs 750 #'s.
    There are a lot of guys who hang this plow (810) on there Dodge Quads with the Cummins and have great success. So I would not panic on "destroying your truck".
    If you plan on subbing then get the 8' straight, your paid by the hour not the job right. Unfortunately most guys don't have a clue how efficient these plows (810) are so they wont pay more. Its not worth beating your truck up more and getting paid the same as the guy with the straight 8 . It may take a bit longer, but time is money, and more time means more money right ?
    If you plan on pushing your own accounts then get the 810 and worry about selling enough work to keep your truck busy.
    Todd

6. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Ok, off key question, but, how less does a V10 weigh in comparison to a diesel? I have the same truck, but a gasser. I was going to put an 810 on the front of it. I know for a fact that I have the 38/39 or 38/37 (whichever) springs on the front know. Are these the diesel springs, too?

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

No, diesel springs are 46/47 (ish) V10 is heavier than V8 but not as heavy as th CTD (can;t find the weight specs ATM) I think it's a couple hundred pounds (200-250 ish?)

8. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Do you think I'll need the diesel springs?

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I would probabily go with them, yeah. Timbrins will be a band-aid (about $150) and less work, but not by much.
    If you do go for the Blizzard put it on and see how much she sags- if it's more than you want look for the Diesel springs. If you're ok with it wait a year or 2 then when the stockers are sagging from age (they all get weaker in time) put in the diesel ones- might be more cost effective that way.

10. T-MAN

SCS check out Westerns site for there quick match, go here:http://www.westernplows.com/quickmatch.asp
    Run your truck threw and try for the biggest blade Western has i.e. 9'6" v blade. Then you know what weight you can hang by cross referencing the western specs same site. You will get your weight limit for your axle not just springs. Then we know the Blizzard weighs 950 so roughly the same as an 9'6" Western v.

And Timbrens are really not a band aid at all. These help any vehicle carry weight "better". They help in many ways including body roll, bottoming out and excessive nose diving when breaking (very dangerous plow on no ballast). These help you carry the weight, not more or extra weight.
    Your axle rating is the bottom line weather you have Timbrens or 46/47 springs. Remember you will sacrifice ride quality with out the plow with the heavy duty springs. SO if this truck does double duty it could be an issue.

Todd

11. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

one bilizzard owner to another(possibly)

decide what you want to do, i've got 3 810s and they suck at residential work, yes they will do it but a western or meyer straight blade will scour and scrape better. if you put an 810 in a commercial setting, it will by far and away outshine a western or other plow. i know , i have westerns for doing residential and the 810s for the commercial work, hurry up and move on to the next. thats the way my company is set up, run the blizzards on the commercials and the westerns on the residentials and flip flop back and forth on whoever gets done first. good luck, and when i said the blizzards dont scour as good, i meant in a backdrag situation, going forward, they scour as good as any other plow.

12. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Just my 2 cents. We have a 01 quad cummins LB stick. Have had an 810 on for 2 winters now. NO problems. Our GVW is 8800 lbs. We start the run out with 2 FULL pallets of salt and the SnowEx sand pro tailgate spreader as well as the 810! Front end hardly sags when carrying plow. Springs are stock for that model. Never had any problems. Before the 810, we were running a 9.5 Meyer with a 1 inch thick cutting edge! Heavy! That set up has been the norm for the past 10 years. We did replace the front ball joints right after we installed the 810. Truck has just over 108,000 miles. runs great!

Not to say this is the way to go but just info for you to contemplate.

Good Luck

13. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Highpoint,

Do you know what your truck weighs with that blizzard, and what your truck weighs empty without the blizzard on there? So is that the only thing you have replaced with putting a blizzard on was the ball joints? How much did that run? I haven't had the luctury of replacing those yet, and was wondering how much they run to replace. Anyways. That helps a little in how the blizzard 810 will be on my truck.

14. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Been busy mowing, Sorry for the delay in gettin back. No I do not know the weight either way. I'll figure it out later though. The ball joints ran me Approx. 600.oo per side. buncha bucks but penuts to what that truck has made me in 107 thousand miles. :)

You gotta look at it this way. The manufactures have built in a saftey zone on their frames, brakes, front end, etc. I'm definatly over loaded but for short periods of time and at much slower speeds. I feel that as long as you are comfortable with your truck. Really no how it runs, then you should be able to handle the load.

FYI, Blizzard has just released a scaled down 8611 for 3/4 or 1 tons! :nod: It is heavier than the 810 but MAN can it move even MORE snow! They even now have a new blade that is called the "Swingwing" which is a straight blade configuartion with the wings of a power plow installed in the scoop position permantly. The catch is: while pushing straight the blade remains in the scoop position. When you angle the blade either direction, the leading wing remains angled and the trailing wing STRAIGHTENS OUT! This should be a big seller for those that don't quite want to fork the bills for the full out power plow. Check it out!

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  15. T-MAN

Highpoint, actually the new 8611 is not ment at all for 3/4 ton trucks. The 810 weighs the same as a 9'6" v ! Not a light plow. Barely legal on a 3/4 gasser.
    The new 8611 low pro is rated for a few 3500 series trucks ie One tons. probally ment more for a one ton gasser then anything. Im sure guys will hang them on there diesel 3500's but that front will be way over. :eek:
    This plow is huge, the only difference from the regular 8611 is the mold board height.

Todd

16. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Todd, I'm sure I saw it written that the 8611 lowpro would go on a 3/4 ton. (I think). Makes sence though. I'll dig up that memo.

Bill

PS. Just got the literature for the new "Swingwing" plows. NEAT!

17. mike_09

mike_09 Member
    from Ohio

yea i just got a 1997 ford 250 hd and the springs say its 3600 but can i put a 810 on their this is not the light duty trucks that for came out with its the HD with the 5.8 motor so can i put an 810 on their?

18. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Had an 810 on my '04 Ram 3500, Quad Cab/Short bed, Cummins/Auto and it handled the weight just fine. I threw a couple of bags (50 lbs. each) of sand in the back and it was fine.

blizz1.jpg

blizz2.jpg

blizz3.jpg

blizz4.jpg

19. T-MAN

Rtm do you have Timbrens on that Ram ?
    It handles the weight well.
    Todd

20. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

No Timbrens. If you throw a few hundred pounds (400-500) of sand in the bed, its fine.

Ryan