1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 810 frozen wings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ChloMag, Jan 17, 2005.

1. ChloMag

ChloMag Member

I have a blizzard 810. Both wings are frozen in the retract position. They worked well earlier today but as night fell temp dropped to 5 above. Wings have power and move about 1/2 an inch then stop. I am pretty sure that it is an ice problem. I don't have a place to warm it up but I think that it is what it will take. Any ideas?

2. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

what you can do is put a long tube, rubber, from ur exhaust to the back of the plow where they extend from. the heat from the exhaust will hopfully melt the ice. im not to familar with the blizzard plows on where they extend from but try this. this usually melts ice in door locks and things like that. it will take a few minuets but its worth a try.

3. the pipe on the exhust will work, but take long. try a small heater and make a little tent out of a tarp to trap the heat in that might work. when you get it out get some marvels mystery oil spray and spray the hell out of it, then more around and spray agian.

4. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

First off what yr blizzard plow is it??? i have one and have thsi problem all the time... go up to a buiilding or something hard and push the wing aginst it and hit the button at the same time works all the time for me

5. ChloMag

ChloMag Member

Thanks for the ideas. If I don't have to plow in the AM (8' mode) I'll try to get it warmed up. I think it is an '03, does it make a difference? Sure would be nice to have a heated garage that the truck, the plow, and the salt box would fit in all at the same time.

6. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

I have a 810 just got it this year I found the same trouble then Bolts(he is on this site lots) said to go to a car wash spend a few bucks and wash it. It works spray water down inside the wing that will free it and not bad to get the salt off anyways. Hope it works out for you. the 810 is a great plow. My Boss 8.2 is good also but nothing to the 810.

7. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

:yow!: Bon FIRE!! :yow!:

8. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Also get in the habid after plowing or rain turning cold to leave wings extended in the straight position. They never seem to freeze when there out. Hope this helps.

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Wow, that is dissapointing news- I expected they would have enough power in the hydraulics to break any ice that may accumulate at the wing sections.

I love the concept and have been toying with getting one for the next truck when I replace my Chevy this comeing summer... Have to thing about that hard now tho.

10. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

Its not a disapoinment.. this plow is WOW when you have the right HP and weight behind it!!!! just take care of it and maintain it really well
    My old boss had the 2nd yr 810 and that thing was a nightmare... he ran it 4 yrs with out adding and changing FLUID... i bought it from him not knowing oh wow i had all the valves replaced and the fluid changed this thing is amazing!!!!!

11. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I usually just put the plow down and ride over a speed bump. It always unfreezes them for me.

12. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

I agree. Wings do get frozen in the retract position. Usually ice builds up inside causing the line to freeze I think but I have also seen ice between the wing and the blade. Get a cheap salamander heater and turn it loose on the wings. About 20 - 30 minutes later they would be working again. Then you can use the heater to work on truck if you ever need to. Make sure you do spray out every where as I have seen some dirty water come out from inside the wings when I spray mine.

13. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Ill probably get flamed for this but it sounds like a pretty common problem.The last thing i would want to deal with when im plowing is petty problems with the plow,, 20 - 30 minutes to heat is a few driveways i could have completed. .Sounds like a great plow from all the discussions i have seen but it also seems like it has some minor issues that i would want tweaked before i considered one.JMO

14. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

I think the Blizzard 810 is a great plow. Pushes a lot of snow without a problem. I have had a couple of times though where I didn't clean it up after the plowing and it just sits in the yard for a week or two before using again. During that time, it would get pretty cold out (-5 to 25 degrees) so I could understand that since I didn't clean it or prep it for next storm, it might have frozen some. This year alone so far, I think maybe twice it froze up. Only once have I had to heat it to get it to work, mostly just drop it while driving and it frees up nicely. I also do not do comm plowing, just a very few driveways so it isn't a big deal for me. But boy, with my diesel and that plow, I haven't found many snow banks that has stopped me from moving them. :)

We just need more snow in VT this year.