1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 810 and vehicle wear issues?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by DaySpring Services, Sep 23, 2005.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Me and my brother in law got to talking about plows today. His boss is putting a plow on his work truck. I tried to talk him into the blizzard 810. I guess someone told him that the plow holds so much snow that it puts excess wear on the truck, especially the transmission and heating it up. I can see his point but dont buy into it. Anyone?
  2. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Well anytime you add something to a truck you have just stress it. What type of vehicle is his work truck? Chevy/GMC, yeah I could see it overheating when the plow is up, the fact that the trucks trans can't handle the 810 is bullsh%$ !! I have a Blizzard 810 on a 1/2 ton Dodge, and to this day have not had any trans issue. Truck is going on it's third season. It's a DODGE, the trucks with notorious trans issues. I would not worry to much about the trans with the 810, any plow you could say the same thing. "That plow is a piece of sh$%, I had it on my truck and it blew up my trans."

Move more snow faster with a BLIZZARD. :gunsfiring:

9 out 0f 10 times trans issues are brought on by the driver anyway.

Just my 2 pennies. :eek:
  3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

It's a 03 Ram 2500. I guess someone told him the tranny's going to heat up and take alot of excess wear because the 810 hold so much snow. Especially when piling the snow.
  4. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

If that is the case, he better not buy a plow. If there wasn't a big pile of snow in front of my plow at the end of a row, I would be out looking for the hole in it.

Yes, there will be a buildup of snow- No matter what the brand. Take on a 6" wet snow with a standard 7'6" plow and there will be a heavy load. Blizzard 810- Yes there will be more of a load. I don't know that the plow itself holding more snow is going to cause any issues. If you feel it is too much load on the truck, just retract the wings back to 8'. Or you can take smaller bites of snow. Or you can buy a truck that will handle it! lol I own Ford/Chevy/Dodge trucks, and they all break. Most tranny issues are due to driver abuse, or neglect of maintenance. Occasionally there will be a factory flaw that could cause a smoked tranny, but it is usually your own darn fault. Tell him to put on whatever flavor of plow he desires, and use common sense when using it. Good luck!
  5. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

Plows arent hard on a truck........spreaders arent hard on a truck.....its certain drivers that are hard on a truck

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

its the driver not the truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :redbounce
  7. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Definately the DRIVER !!!!! :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic