1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 810 - 8611 tips for the new owner

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bolts Indus., Aug 19, 2004.

1. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

1- Never back drag with wings out.

2-Never back drag with wings cupped forward.

3- Never back up and turn into a snowbank etc with wings out or cupped forward.

The above could cause your wing return springs to break.

4- Do not leave you wings out for extended periods of time in real cold temperature where there is salted snow. Snow will accumulate inside and freeze the wings. Periodically extend and return your wings to push it out of there.

After each event flush well all snow from your wing boxes with garden hose. Angle blade in raised position to drain.

5- When blade is down make sure your red float light on your controller is on. If not then blade is not floating and you will have excessive wear on your cutting edges.

6- add at least 500-600 lbs ballast to bed of truck behind wheel wells to maintain proper angle of truck on push beam

7- Install largest battery you can get or second battery. Upgrade to 130 amp. or larger alternator. These draw a lot of amps.

Your welcome and I know your dealer told you this stuff.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  2. Bolts Indus.

PS:

Some will say these are design flaws. Let me assure you they are not. These models are not driveway plows but are designed primarily for commercial straight a head plowing as most are. For back dragging I use the proper Snowman rear mount pull plow. I recommend these to you if you need a lot of back dragging ability.

3. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care Member

Are you saying you can't back drag with the wings in?

4. Bolts Indus.

Back drag only with wings IN

5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i dont see that as a problm. if your backdraging with just 8' its just like a regular plow. but when your ready to push you have 9'+ to10'. anymore tips or words of wisdom.

6. Bolts Indus.

I'll save a few for later. It could be a long winter. Feel free to ask any questions you may have on the 810. I don't have all the answers but will try and get them for you. Take care of your plow and it will take care of you. My plow loves to be cleaned and greased and the electrical connections love the electrical grease. And don't forget the truck. As good as these are we still need something to push it.

7. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i hear that be kinda hard pushing it by hand.

8. Bolts Indus.

Anticipate that the 950 lb. weight which gives you that great down to the pavement cleaning will also wear your cutting edges faster than a normal plow. May want to get extra in early.

9. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i was planning on that just haven't decided if i'm going to get anouther steel or one of the $u edges

10. Bolts Indus.

Don't think u edges are available especially for the wings. Don't think they would hold up very well on an 810. Just the slight increased cost you pay for effiency.

11. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

they are avalible 495 bucks moldboard and wings

12. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

just noticed on winter ready thread your a blizzard dealer its funny i had to tell my dealer they had the u edges to.

13. Bolts Indus.

Sorry. Just visited our website and seen them. I used a u edge years a go and was not happy with the wear ability. I may bring a set in for trial though.

14. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

they have the blizzard name but i bielive they are bieng made by superior

15. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

price is definitly up there but its supposed to last a lot longer than steel. so it works out about the same. except with the u edge less abuse to truck.

16. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Bolts,
    I'm going to add the 760LT to my 1/2 ton Silverado in a month or so. Any difference between the 2003 model vs. 2004? Dealer has 2003 that came back to him as the original buyer passed away. Supposedly the guy only used it a couple times and they offered to take it back when they heard he'd died. Anyway they'd give me a little better deal on that unit but I'd kind of rather get a new 2004 due to warranty. What's your thoughts?

Buck

17. Bolts Indus.

Hello:

If you mean last years model 03 vs. this year o4
    then there is no difference I'm aware of.

I see no reason to be shy of a slightly used one year old Blizzard if you are getting a good discount. I'm sure under normal use you will not have any problems.

18. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Thanks Dave.

Buck

19. Bolts Indus.

TIP # 8 All Blizzards.

Adjust kickstand to the high side to allow for soft ground, gravel or snow.

Your Welcome.

20. Bolts Indus.

TIP # 9

When servicing draw latch.

If you take it apart to grease etc.
    mark all plates with a white grease stick (or other marker) as these are very easy to reverse when you re assemble. If they are reversed (up side down) the draw latch will not pull the plow backward into the mounts. :

Your welcome.