1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blizzard 8-10 I think I want to sell!

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by james1115, Dec 19, 2005.

1. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

I have the blizzard 8-10 in great condition. I bought my truck with this plow on it. I have used it one storm and am not to fond of it mainly because of the weight of it. I have a 2003 dodge ram 2500 and it saggs my front end to the point I am going to have to put in a leveling kit to raise the plow frame up because it hits pulling out of steep driveways. I do all residential, so this plow is too much for what I need. I have no idea what to even ask for this thing though. it is a 2002 blizzard 8-10 with the leg mount controlls.

2. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Lemme know when you decide on a price. I have a nice Meyer Poly Plow that may be more to you liking. Lemme know if you wanna do a swap. We'd each have to buy new mounting kits though.

3. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

I think a poly is a little too light for my use, I was interested in the HD meyers,fisher and the Curtis snow pro 3000 all 8ft.

4. prayforsnow

prayforsnow Member

Hi James,

These plows go for 4K and change new...mine is 3 years old and my reciept says $4100 and some change...so expect around half that or a little better...

They have classifieds here on Plowsite...or maybe Ebay might be the place to put 'er...

Good luck,

PFS

5. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Many people are surprised to learn that the Poly plow is actually heavier than the steel blade. I've been uusing them commercially for years w/o a problem. I prefer them over steel because they don't rust or need to be painted. Blizzard doesn't make one yet!

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, poly weighs about the same as metal. Do you have a diesel or a gas, I have the same truck in a diesel, same plow and mine only saggs about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

How much ballast are you running in the back of the truck???

8. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

mine is gas, I am not sure what ballast is I think it weighs down the rear of the truck to level it out. I bought this truck with this plow so I am not sure about that. How can I tell? as far as the poly plows go I have always heard that they are only for the typical home owner plowing his drive and maybe a neighbor am I very wrong on this? I am going to be adding the tuff country front end leveling kit very soon and going to some bigger tires as well because these stock michelin's can't grip snow to save their lives, any recomendations I was thinking either BFG at's or pro comp at's. The leveling kit add's 2 in and the tires will step up from a 31 to a 33 so that should help raise the front end up a little. This plow also drains a ton of juice, my battery light came on about 5-6 times durring our last storm. is this common?

9. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Hi!

If Western is your flavor, the 8' Poly Pro is a nice machine. Heavier than the 8' steel Pro but not too heavy on the front end as compared to other plows... It has held up well plowing drives and lots and a real good size rough stone lot and shows little wear after 2+ seasons. We like 'em.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  10. ratlover

from IL

Ballast is weight that is SECURED behind the rear tires. Start with 800 or so and alter it up or down per your tastes. It will make a HUGE difference and there is no reason to downgrade blades if you already have a 810. JMO

11. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

where do I go about getting a ballast?

12. ratlover

from IL

Ballast is just weight. So get what ever you can get ahold of cheaply and easily and keep failry secured. You dont want it sliding around or flying about in a wreck. Some people build a box to contain the stuff too. Some use 5 gallon buckets filled with sand, concrete blocks, steel, bags of salt(even water softener salt) sand bags.

13. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

14. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

You would be able to do it alot cheaper than that. I carry water softner salt in 40lb bags, cost me around $70, and when the water softner gets low, I already have salt on hand. I would suggest at least 600lbs for ballast for the 810, and that is to start, you might want more than that.

John

15. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

great guys I really appreciate this. I am going to go with cement or sandbags I think. SHould I put them in the rear behind the axle or up against the cab?

16. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

As far to the rear as possible!

17. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

ok thanks I appreciate it

18. ratlover

from IL

Behind the rear wheels.

I wouldnt use bags of cement. They get wet and turn to bricks or they rip and dump mix on your bed and then get wet and turn to mortar all over. PITA

Water softener in the platic bags work well as has been mentioned you can actually use the stuff come summer.

Sand bags also tend to get wet and freeze and turn into brick like objects. SECURE YOU BALLAST! If you brake hard or get in a wreck unsecured stuff will go sliding forward and either damage your bed or at worse damage you:eek:

19. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

I have to ditto the concern about securing loads, as I've had a skid of crete come join me in the cab before.

Lesson learned.

~Matt

P.S. I'm learning a lesson on having good contracts right now, it's looking like a $10k lesson...
    :cry: :help:

20. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

hey breyer how do you like your curtis? I am really interested in the curtis snow pro 3000 8ft.I think I am going to use water softener salt and secure it down with a ratchet strap.