1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 760ld

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jsyonker, May 8, 2004.

1. jsyonker

jsyonker Junior Member

I purchased a 760 LD straight blade December 03. I plowed about 30 private drives in the month of Jan 04 and when I was done, the entire graphics design had been stripped off of the plow. I do realize that these are "stickers", I am however disapointed that they only stayed on less than one month. I contacted Blizzard Corp and they said that they had received other complaints on this years model. To remedy the problem, Blizzard gave me new stickers. Anyone else with this problem?

I guess Im mostly disapointed that I paid 2700.00 for a plow that looks five years old in less than a months time. I have since put on my new decals and the plow looks brand new. I have also replaced my 02 dakota with an F250, so I will be listing this plow for sale. The plow worked great. I have thought about upgrading to the Blizzard 810. Is this a reliable plow? Are V plows any better or worse?

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I would go with a nice western or fisher plow

3. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

ive got one 8-10 looking to put another on a dump for nexct season great plow.

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

jsyonker
    Welcome to plowsite, I would not be too happy if my paint came off like that after only 1 months use, especially when you bought it brand new. If you really like the 810 i would first want to find out if your problem was an isolated issue or do all blizzards do that. I can't imagine that it happens often otherwise i think you would hear many more complaints. There are other good plows as we all know, so if you dont get a blizzard just get a v from another plow company. One more thing, how did the dakota handle the 760 LD? Did you have any problems with the weight on the front of it?

5. jsyonker

jsyonker Junior Member

Hi Chris, thanks for the input. From what I've learned from the VP of Sales and Marketing from Blizzard, is that this was an issue with the 2003 760 LD. Of course I was stuck as the ginnie pig, but it's only money right. Anyway, the Dakota did a pretty good job. The 760 was a bit heavier than I had hoped, so I put some heavier shocks on the front and had the stabilizers turned up. As far as plowing goes, it did an excellent job on your average size driveway. Easy to fit in to tight corners with a small truck.
    I am sure that my 250 crew cab won't turn quite as nice. Thanks Jason

6. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Jason,

The sticker problem you encountered was due to a change in the powder coat formula. They added a teflon additive to improve the paint quality on the blade. The unfortunate result was that the stickers did not adhear to the paint surface as well as in the past ( some in our area are 5yr old and still have the original stickers----scratched up of course from alot of use ).

We found that after the blade was used and new stickers applied that they held better than the initial application. The same thing happened if the surface was scuffed with steel wool.

Alot of testing went on over the winter to eliminate this from reoccuring so hopefully we'll see an improvement for '04 season.]

As far as the Dakota and the plow weight issue, we found that the older models and the V6 models did much better with the 760LT than the V8 and the newer models due to the initial front end weight of the truck. With the V6 or the V8 there was no problem pushing the blade though. We did a few 680LT's on Dakotas but they really look small on that truck.

You should find a couple of people who ran 810's last year and ask them how they feel on the V vs. 810 issue. Honestly after plowing with both I won't go back to a V unless I happen to start plowing alot of long lanes that get left with alot of snow build up.

I've busted in and plowed roads and driveways with over 15" of snow with the 810 on a F350 SD. The wide pass for driveways is great because you can clean alot more with 2 passes and not have spilloff to clean up.

Best of luck in what you do.
    Jerre

7. jsyonker

jsyonker Junior Member

Thanks for the input Jerre. I'm looking forward to this winter already. Jason