1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 760 LT NO power

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Blizzard 760LT, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Blizzard 760LT

Blizzard 760LT Junior Member

2005 Power hitch model 760LT.
    Can't hook up plow. Nothing happening. Not even clicking from solenoid. Power or ground issue is what I am thinking, but can't figure out where.

I have power to my solenoid on firewall, but none coming out (controller switch on and plow plugged in). I replaced with my back-up solenoid, but still nothing. Wanting to get some feedback before I assume I have a bad solenoid (2) and buy new one.

I did check the fuse to the controller too, and it is good.

If anyone has a picture of the wiring to their solenoid to post, that would be great.

Thank you, in advance, for any help and advice.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You have the power switch on the controller turned to "on" or power hitch correct?

3. Blizzard 760LT

Yes, I have had it in both power hitch "on" and system "on" mode, and nothing.

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Check the plug on the truck side with volt meter at the 2 large pins. If you got power there, it may be loss of contact in the plug. I sometimes have too spread the power terminals on the plow side plug .

5. Blizzard 760LT

Thank you, Mark. I have checked the power there with a volt meter and am getting nothing. I am not even getting power coming out of the second terminal at my solenoid. I am thinking I have a wire issue there. I have power (confirmed) in to the battery post on the solenoid, but that is it.

6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Jump the brown wire on the solenoid to battery positive ans see if you get current on the large solenoid post.

7. Blizzard 760LT

Fast Johnny, thank you. I did use a screwdriver to jump terminals and it is clicking.

Still, no power to lift plow from toggle or power hitch system.

Now what? Time for new truck side harness?

Is the second small terminal on my solenoid another ground?

8. aahicnow

aahicnow Junior Member

Blizz according to your manual there should be 4 connections on your solenoid, fast john gave you the procedure to check the solenoid, just because it clicks does not mean it is working. It only means that the coil is energizing, it may or may not be switching the main power (burnt internal contacts, bad connections internally ) If you have power in (measured with meter at one of the large terminals) and you supply power as John described it will cause the coil to energize (the click you here)and hopefully close the contacts on the larger power circuit. If the if everything is good you should then see power at the second large terminal. If not something in the solenoid is not working.

9. Blizzard 760LT

Aahicnow, thank you. I will, again, jump the solenoid, and check the second (out) terminal for power. If necessary, I will replace my solenoid with my backup and do again.

Thank you again.

10. aahicnow

aahicnow Junior Member

i guess the other thing you could of done is to bypass the solenoid altogether by jumpering the two large solenoid terminals together, if still no power follow the cable to the next connection point and test again for power. do you have your manual still if not i found a pdf of it on the manufacturers web site, and it does have a trouble shooting guide in it as well as wiring diagrams.

11. aahicnow

aahicnow Junior Member

Blizz if you do have power on the second post of your solenoid , i have been looking at the schematics and the next test point would be at pin 2 of plug from the truck to the plow. If you have power at that point the problem is plow side. If no power at pin 2 the prob is prob in the truck harness, You could confirm this by disconnecting the terminal from the large terminal of the solenoid where you check for power previously and check for continuity of the wire from there to pin 2 on the plug.

12. Blizzard 760LT

Ahi now, thank you yet again. It will be tomorrow morning that I will try this. I will certainly update.
    I, too, found the wiring schematic and downloaded it now.

Thank you.:mechanic:

13. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Before I would buy a new harness just for a power lead I would add in an Anderson connector for redundant power supplies.

14. Blizzard 760LT

Thank you guys for all the help. I have found the problem and corrected it. I had two issues.
    1) broken wire to the solenoid
    2) though the fuse was good, I was NOT getting connection from aux fuse to controller.

I appreciate all the comments and assistance.