1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 760 / 760ld

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PINEISLAND1, Oct 30, 2003.

1. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

A good friend is putting a plow on his 97 Chevy 1500, with extended cab and short box. He is getting a Blizzard at my suggestion, but I have a hard time recommending a light duty, which is what specs out for that truck. I have used 1/2 tons in the past sucessfully, but always used the heavier Pro Plows on them with no trouble.

Does anyone run a regular 760 on a 1/2 ton Chevy, and would you recommend doing it again ?

Does anyone have a 760 light duty, and is it tough enough to handle the commercial stuff ?

He is a sub of mine, and does smaller commercial for me. He currently uses a Bronco with a Western Pro, so his productivity will not significantly change.

2. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

I can partly answer your question regarding the differences between the two.

The only difference is the cutting edge is a little thinner on the light duty

One less spring

Two less ribs

Otherwise, same plow.:p

3. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

Highpoint is right it is just the cutting edge and one less spring and the moldboard is about 2 inches higher. the plow is the same except for the weight difference. I run a ld on a dodge 1500 and it does a fine job and less weight on the front end. The Blizzards do a fine job.

4. PINEISLAND1

Thanks for the help. So I take it you would buy the ld again ? Blizzard apparently doesnt make a mount for the chevy 1/2 ton for the standard 7'6" blade, so that isnt even an option.

Now we are making the decision between the ld, and a Western or Boss.

Same price basically on all, just a matter of weight and personal preference.

any other opinions ?

5. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Not sure about the models for the Western or Boss but at least the Blizzard has the same mounting as its big brothers. Easy on and off.:p

You may as well go with the Blizzard. You got a team going!

And pretty too!:D

6. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

Yes I would go with the Blizzard to. Very easy to put on and off.

7. Sector4Me

Sector4Me Banned (again)

Blizzard

Go with the BLIZZARD Tom.

8. PINEISLAND1

I really want to go Blizzard, but is it worth having to go down to the LD just to go Blizzard, that is the big question !

Its either the Blizzard ld or the Western pro.

Does the 2 inches on the moldboard height make a big difference ? Will the longevity be there, for a lighter duty plow ?

9. Sector4Me

Sector4Me Banned (again)

I think BLIZZARD does make a mount for that truck. I would step up to the 760 HD if it were me.

Just my two pennies.:angel:

10. PINEISLAND1

Check for me tomorrow Jon, I think that they dont, from what I have been told ?

P.S.

Check your private messages

11. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Tom,

No HD mount for the 99+ 1500.

I have quite a few customers doing full commercial work with 760LT's. One going on 4 yrs. One did alot of plowing the last 3 yrs with a 1/2 ton and upgraded to a 250 Super Duty. He upgraded to the HD because of the heavier truck. He seriously wanted to put the LT on the new truck but realized he had alot more weight behind the plow now. And no mount avail.

IMO the LT is built alot stronger than both the Wester Pro at 636#+ and Boss standard at a lot less weight. The HD at 720# vs the LT and 550# means about 200# less on the front of the truck.

Just my .02 from hanging alot of them and customer feedback.

Jerre

p.s. Poly edges on the way from the factory soon.

12. PINEISLAND1

Thanks Jerre,

So does that mean pre 99 1500's have mounts available? If not,

I will take your advice, and recommend the ld. Its good to have reliable sources to go to !!

Waiting for the edges...