1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 2011

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by KMBertog, Feb 4, 2011.

1. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

Some pics of some equipment removing/stacking/relocating the 20" of snow here in Chicago earlier this week. Work orders keep coming in for us to bring in the big loaders to relocate or haul snow off site! I will keep adding pics as they come in!

2. KMBertog

More Photos:

3. KMBertog

1st pic at the top is the snow drift at the front door to our office :eek:

It was like that all over the place, some drifts even higher at some accounts
  4. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

Nice pictures it looks like you guys got it good.
  5. KMBertog

Thanks! We got HAMMERED with snow. I have never seen anything like it in my life. Official measurement at O'Hare airport was 20", but the 60-70 mph winds had drifts 10-12 feet high in some places!
  6. KMBertog

Couple more of the Cat 924G

7. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I bet you guys made more off this storm then you will all of the rest of winter!! Great pictures..how did your jeep handle it?
  8. KMBertog

Well, all of our 40 inch contracts for the season will now be billed on a T & M basis from here on out... So now the BIG money can be made. We are now over 40" of snow on the season.

I won't lie, it was a struggle in the jeep... Nowhere near heavy enough or powerful enough to crank out that much snow. I actually got it stuck and needed a tug out... luckily i keep a chain with me but just had to wait for someone to come and help me out.

Oh well, it is what it is! What a nasty storm though. When the lightning came in the middle of the night it was INCREDIBLE!
  9. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

That would have been awesome to see.
  10. KMBertog

At first, I thought that the wind and ice had blown a transformer in the near vicinity!!! But then it happened again a minute or so later and I remembered them saying we could get thunder/lightning! I couldn't believe what I was seeing!
  11. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Nice pics and glad you made it through
  12. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Crazy stuff, we had that back in December. I remember the thunder snow, and the wind kicking up the drifts insanely. During the storm it was nearly impossible to see. We all met at the diner and waited it our for 2hrs. Go make that coin bud!!
  13. KMBertog

Thanks guys for the comments! We have been running loaders 24/7 at many accounts since the last flake fell to help move/re-locate/haul away the snow. What a mess! But gotta love the $$$ payup
  14. Freebird

Freebird Member

Keith what do you run? Do you usually just use the Jeep for residential and as a supervisor vehicle or do you get to run the heavy equipment or just spend storm as a supervisor/backup plow?
  15. KMBertog

I am in the jeep and run through my residential run... that usually takes me 4 to 5 hours each run to blow through my residential accounts.

I then go check on a couple crews and their progress at some of our multi-family accounts. See how much they have left, what their fuel situation is, etc. Relay that info back to "snow command" aka my uncle who is back at the office.

Usually once that stuff is done i will head back and hop in a salt truck and start hitting accounts that have been all plowed and are ready for salt.
  16. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Very nice pictures.....you got alot of snow
  17. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

I love going out plowing after a big storm. There's just something about being the first one to go down a road covered in fresh powder.

I went out this morning and one cell tower i plowed had a drift from last night so bad we had to call in the loader. the snow just kept coming around beind my plow because the banks on the road were so high.
  18. KMBertog

hey guys I have a ton more pics to add to the thread... I would post them now, but gotta run! more snow falling as i type! time to plow again!