1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard 1.8 Salt Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ff610, Feb 25, 2011.

1. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Used my new Blizzard 1.8 Salt Spreader today for the first time! Great units! I've used alot of different spreaders, and this one appears well made and worked excellent! Wish I would have bought one sooner!

2. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

My buddy runs 3 or 4 and really likes them too

3. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I got the red borther of yours lol. I did have to put a spinner motor on it. But other then that its been great.

4. dmax07

dmax07 Junior Member

Im thinking of getting a 1.8 spreader either red or gray, may I ask what a good price is for one?

5. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Mine was only 4 months old (used) and i got it for 3,200. I think brand new they go for around 4500-5000. Not to sure about that.

6. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

These are the electric ones with two seperate chain speed and spinner speed? My question is....do they keep ALL salt contained within the unit or are they open underneath and leave salt below the unit onto the truck?

7. Mackman

from S.E. PA

They will leave salt under the unit on your truck bed.

8. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

This is no longer an issue. We made a mid-2010 revision to the sill design that resolved this issue.

John Murphy

9. dmax07

dmax07 Junior Member

Any changes for 2011 models? What about all the motor issues ive read about?

10. John Murphy

Yes, that was completed about a month ago now. A strut kit for the chute assembly that will help to stabilize the motor shaft.

11. dmax07

dmax07 Junior Member

John, thanks for all the info

12. dmax07

dmax07 Junior Member

Are the Western and Blizzard identical spreaders other than color? Do they share the same problems?

13. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

John,

The updates to the sill, bolt on parts that can be added, or an upgrade that cannot be done after the fact? ( I have a very model that was made in summer of 09 and absolutely love it). When will the strut kit be available to my dealer? I changed the spinner guard on mine to the new design and added the bolt on deflectors to the end of the material chute. What a difference that made to the spread pattern. Best spreader I have ever owned, by far.

14. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

Oh, by the way. Mine is a 1.8 yard and it is yellow (isnt there only two colors for plows and spreaders.......stainless and yellow?????):nod:

15. John Murphy

Yes. They are identical other than the color.

16. John Murphy

The sill revision is not field retrofitable. The strut kits started shipping to dealers several weeks ago. They should have them in stock now. Glad to hear your unit is performing well for you. I trust it got plenty of use this past winter!