1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bliz. 810 wing problems

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by bison1973, Mar 1, 2007.

1. bison1973

bison1973 Member

New 810 this year and the left side wing will scoop forward and go back straight but won't retract back in. I hit a curb at less than 5mph and this started to happen. It didn't even move back it just stayed forward after the hit. This is the second time this winter this wing has been acting this way. The first time I paid big bucks to get it fixed. The hyd. cyl. was bent. To make maters worse the right side wing will scoop forward go back straight but will only retract back in about 3 inches. I never hit anything (at least not anythig out of the ordinary) it just started doing this in the middle of my route. I flushed it with alot of hot water because I thought maybe it was packed with snow/ice but it didn't help.

Something tells me these plows shouldn't be having these problems so easily.

Any advise or answers?

Thanks, TIM
  2. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Hey Bison,
    sounds like you might have a few problems there. Firstly,the wing that scoops and straightens might be getting caught on the fixed part of the plow(sort of hung up).Look for that at the top of where the moving blade slides into the fixed part of the blade.
    Good luck
  3. paulsauto

paulsauto Member

wing problems

it sounds like the hoses are switch around on the wing cyl. there should be pressure relief on the extend hose. hose fit both ways on the new plows. the older ones had two different size fittings. the wing should fold back easily when you hit a curb. It still might bend if you hit it hard enough but not a five miles an hour with a pickup. If you have a f450 dually with 5000 lbs of sand in the back anything is possible. the extend fitting is actually the fitting towards the wing the fitting on the end of the cylinder has a tube on the back side and is the retract fitting. got a few mixed up myself first time a put a couple together. I think the wing buttons worked opposite.
  4. bison1973

bison1973 Member

Yeah, I think something is mixed up with the hoses. Those wings have never, I mean never, folded back when they've hit something. And now neither of them work. My problem will be getting my dealer to fix it for me under warranty. He'll have to admitt they put it together wrong. This was only a '99 reg cab chevy 2500 behind the plow.

Anything else you guys can tell ne would be helpful in getting me ready to bring this to the Blizzard dealers attention.

5. bison1973

bison1973 Member

found out what was wrong

Well, I found out what was wrong. I called Blizzard and they had me check the hoses for extend and retract on the wing cylinders. The dealer had installed them in reverse on both sides therefore eliminating the relief valve. I've had 3 wing malfunctions this winter due to this. I paid for the repair the first time not knowing what was wrong.

Talk about an incompetant dealer.
  6. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I hope they make good and refund your $$ you spent on the repairs....
  7. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

I cant get rid of my blizzards fast enough.

Great concept. I really like them when they work.

But they havent worked most of the bugs out of them yet.

It drives me nuts how many times a dam circuit board or relay would render a truck useless.
  8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

What are you selling ?
    What are you replacing the Blizzard plows with ?
  9. ram1500

ram1500 Member
    from ma

You must have blizzards that are more than 3 years old because the old circuit board has been upgraded and the solenoids have been changed to include a rubber o ring so they do not short.