1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blinking overdrive light

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Shack, Feb 10, 2001.

1. Shack

Shack Junior Member

I have a 94 F350 diesel. The overdrive light will blink off and on while sitting at the red light from time to time.
    Have any ideas?

2. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

Tranny time

Take it to a dealer so they can diagnose the problem, which will most likely be that the transmission is shot. See if they can help you at all since the truck is out of warranty (they helped me greatly with a 97). If you let it go too long the dealer told me that debris from the bad parts can get tangled up in the cooling system (might need new radiator).

Or, if you want to, do like a friend of mine - same thing with his 93, he disconnected the battery overnight to reset the computer, then drove it until it broke totally.

3. Cleve

Cleve Junior Member

I believe that before doing much of anything else I would completely drain the trans and the TC, fill with Mobil 1 ATF and change the filter. Will cost you about $75--$100 but might make the difference. Also like the idea of "resetting" the computer. Although I don't think you have to wait overnight. Just 30 min.or so. The truck will also drive a little differently for a few miles after that.
    You might want to add a better cooler for the trans also. The factory one is not adequate for most loads. Sitting at lights might add a little more heat to the unit.
    Even if it was new, all the above would be good for it.
    Cleve....

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

It could be something as little as a bad solenoid or a loose wire,if you want to service it,and take it in and let a pro look at it.

5. nlminc

nlminc Junior Member

I had the same problem with my 97 350 ps diesel. Ford replaced the Torgue Converter, the Darm Reman Conv Asy-trans for a fee of $586.77. They told me it was not covered under warr. cause this part is not in the drive train system.

Chris

6. John DiMartino

Torque convertor is a problem on Fords,especiall yif you dont service your auto every 15K if you tow/plow or 30K otherwise.The torque converttor is covered under the 3/36,and is part of the powertrain,it would be covered under any powertrain extended warranty also,provided ou serviced it at recommended intervals.

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

In fact ford still has issues with auto trannies, they just recently had to halt production of all gas powered trucks due to a diode failure in the trannies. Diesel powered trucks were not affected because the faulure would only occur after full throttle above 4700 rpm let completely off the throttle and then back to full throttle. I am not picking on fords but read the article from dearborn news or something to the like. I will try and find the article and post a link.
    Dino

8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

In fact ford still has issues with auto trannies, they just recently had to halt production of all gas powered trucks due to a diode failure in the trannies. Diesel powered trucks were not affected because the faulure would only occur after full throttle above 4700 rpm let completely off the throttle and then back to full throttle. I am not picking on fords but read the article from dearborn news or something to the like. I will try and find the article and post a link.
    Dino

That problem occured back in november or december. I am pretty sure it's fixed now.

Geoff

9. mike48114

mike48114 Junior Member

sorry about everyones situation but i know what the proublem is... In a Ford truck the only way that light can blink is if the trans is over heating or if the speedomoter fuse is blown, but you would know that one becouse your speedomoter wont work at all.... i have this happen alot and you just have to find what made the trans over heat... the reason these other guys had pricy repairs is couse they let it happen to long and it fried the trans or the repair shop milked them...

10. Shack

Shack Junior Member

I have a tranny cooler.

11. John DiMartino

I know from the TDR,that Ford tranny coolers are sized way to small-bur why is it doing it all the sudden?

12. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

On the 99 and newer the overdrive light will blink if the speed sensor is bad.

13. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

You know something, you guys piss me off! (LOL) Just kidding!;) I have a 2000 F250 4x4 PSD with 20,000 miles on it. No problems or complaints, until this afternoon. The fricken' overdrive light started blinking, no BS. I never heard of this problem until a couple days ago from you guys here, and now mine is doing it. You guys jinxed me!:p Well anyways my buddy is a mechanic, has been for 15 years, and he said most likely it may be one of the sensors. Since my tranny hasn't been acting up or anything yet. I need to have him do a test on it since everything is computer and/or electronically controlled. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

14. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Finally got my truck fixed, waiting almost a week for parts and then trying to find time to give it up for a day. They replaced the PCM (power control module) EEC Processor assembly (whatever that is) and a new main control valve body. Seems to be fine now, time will tell if this is going to be a problem in the future or not.

15. Shack

Shack Junior Member

G0t the old Ford back today. The problem was a tach sensor. Cost a $154.38. The part only cost $50.27. What the tach sensor has to do with the tranny and a blinking overdrive light is beyound me, but I am sure glad it was not something else.

16. Shack

Shack Junior Member

@#%$#@^%# overdrive light came back on today. This time the tranny is shifting hard, and I cant get the button to go in. What a $^#@$^ bad time for this to happen.

17. powerreel

powerreel Junior Member

I'll tell you I hate Ford trannys! You have to have a flusher to get all the fluid out, dropping the pan is only part of the system.Sucks!!!

18. Cleve

Cleve Junior Member

Not true. In fact, a flusher will NOT get all the fluid out.
    You have to remove the TC inspection cover and rotate the TC until the drain plug is on the bottom, remove the plug and let it drain. And, drop the pan along with blowing out the cooler lines. This will remove all the fluid.
    A flusher will only remove some of the fluid and leave a lot of the old fluid mixed in with the new.
    Cleve.

19. snso

snso Junior Member
    from Alaska

Unbelievable...

97 F350 - blinking overdrive light started last night - found this thread via Google search this morning; purchased a set of fuses ($16); replaced the one for my speedometer (which was blown) - and unbelievably - the light went off (am back in Odrive) and the speedometer is working...this is such a relief...had already called the Ford dealer to see when I could bring my pickup in...thanks mike48114 for your advice.

20. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I had the same problen. They cleared the code twice and was told it needed to be rebuld.. After that I took it to a tranny shop I deal with. It was a internal problem. Ned\eded to rebuild the tranny.$950 later it runs good. As the overdrive light stayed on the tranny would start to shift harder. It was the tranny building up presure to compansate the problem. At the end it wouldn't always shift into OD.