1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blinking brake dash light on 1990 3500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Alaska Boss, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

The brake light in the dash (gage cluster) of my 1990 Chevy 3500 has just started blinking,... I've had a number of Chevys now, & thought I had seen it all, but have never seen this before... didn't even know that the brake light could blink, and my shop manual doesn't say anything about it,... so, anyone know what sets the brake light off to blinking? Thanks :waving:

2. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Do you use your parking brake frequently?
    If so , it may not be dis engaged all the way.
    just enough for the light to blink.

3. LBZ_Dan

LBZ_Dan Junior Member

Does your truck have anti-lock brakes? If there is a black box next to the master cylinder, then it does. These trucks had the Kelsey-Hayes RWAL system. They used the brake light in the dash to warn you of a fault in the system. It would flash codes with the brake light. Try this website, has some good info about the system: http://www.aa1car.com/library/abs_kelseyhayes_rwal.htm Hope this helps you.

4. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Ahhhhh,.. nope, that's not it.....

5. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Thanks Dan,... that article had some good info about the brake systems in these earlier trucks. My brakes work fine & nothing has changed in that way,... (pedal pressure, etc), but something must have happened somewhere to trigger the brake dash-light system, to make it flash all day long without stopping. I have an OBD I scanner (pre-'96) somewhere, but I had thought those just pulled codes from the "service engine" light code system,... maybe that will tell me something. Thanks again.

6. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

Mine comes on like once a year. I unhook the battery and then pull the 2 wire harnesses that connect to the black box near the master cylinder, wait like 1 minute, and then hook it all back up. The light stays off for a year usually. Hope that helps.