1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

...blew two gaskets today

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by vintage steel, Dec 20, 2012.

1. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

My conventional Western started bleeding out the bottom of the pump motor this morning. No big deal, just cut one out of cork, problem solved!

...Two parking lots later, red spots all over the place:cry:
    This time, it blew the mylar gasket in the L-R valve body.
    I kept it full and let it drip all day. tore it apart tonight and couldn't find a gasket anywhere.

Did you know?

You can cut one out of a mylar emergency space blanket!!!
    glued it up with a light coat of aviation gasket material, torqued it to 70 in-lb, not a drip!!!
    I just thought I'd share that tip.

Time for bed, 2:30 Am O'clock in the morning time comes early.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I wonder why did these gaskets blow? If this plow is one with the solid cast reservoirs and two solid plugs (filler and drain) and no vent, then you may have overfilled it. If there is too much oil and too little air space then when the lift cylinder empties it compresses all the air in the reservoir at which time there is no place for the uncompressable fluid to go.... so it finds a way out by blowing a gasket. The new plows have a vent cap with a 5 lb pressure relief valve that lets anything beyond 5 psi bleed out, air or fluid.