1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blew out trans on X-mas

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow Meister, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Well, I just got the call from the tras shop. $2500.00!!! I gotta get it fixed. With 180,000 miles on the trans and every one of those miles were hard working, I would say I got my money out of it. I just hope the rebuild lasts the same.

Sorry it has been so long since my last post. Stayed busy all through December. I am back on the board now till spring.

2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

I can empathise ... the storm we had back on Dec. 5th was when I came to the realization that my unit needed to be replaced ... it didn't blow completely, but was taking its time deciding when it wanted to go into reverse ... so off to the tranny shop it went.
    I guess I can say thankfully I have the older C-6 in my ford so for them to take my unit out and rebuild it took about a day and cost $650. Works like a charm ... so far ... got 12months/12,000 warrantee, so we will see.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'm going to assume it's the tranny in your F-250, either that or you travel a whole bunch of miles!:D

The one in my '94 F-350 only lasted 34,000 miles and cost me $2200 in '96. Sold it as soon as it was fixed after I heard how notorious these things were for exploding. Guess you got a good one...

4. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Wow. 180,000 miles. Not bad. My tranny blew with only 37,500 on it back on Dec. 1. New 4R100's (basically a C-6) are full of aluminum parts. They just don't make'em like they used to.

5. Plow Meister

I have the infameous E4OD trans. And, yes pelican, I have taken this truck to the ends of the earth and back again. From Anchorage, AK to Buffalo, NY to Galvestan, TX to the arctic circle, it has taken me there. We have been to the highest paved road in North America to being nearly submerged in sea water in Florida. I have towed million dollar cars and pulled tractor-trailers off ice-covered roads. I often tell my wife she will have to find another burial plot because I will either be burried in or next to my truck.

On the plus side, the $2500.00 did include a stage 1 shift kit:D .

A couple more events and the tranny will be paid for. He is also going to take a quick peek at the t-case.

Soon it will be time for a new steering gearbox and a primary fuel pump. Two more hi-dollar items. As long as I can keep pushing snow:cool: .

6. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

It sounds as if you had the trans done already but in the future there is a company called Brians truck stop, you can find him on The DieselStop.com
    he has trannys behind some of the highest powered diesel trucks out there.

7. Plow Meister

I am actually surfing thedieselstop.com right now. I have been a member since Ford-Diesel.com. I was going to get a BTS trans but I didn't have the cash ($4,000.00). Plus, after 180,000 miles I am starting to treat her a little more "middle aged".Of course, we still plow a lot and go on a lot of road tris but we don't tow as much anymore. I keep the boat in the water all summer and have it lifted and dry-docked in the winter. Also, the guy I haul his cars for just bought me a new Super Crewzer and 30' Haulmark 5'er. Can't complain there.

I know I will get at least another 100k or so out of my better half. Maybe by then I will have a son or daughter who will appreciate my truck the same way I do. Please, someone get me a tissue:rolleyes:

8. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

I been plowin with very little reverse all year, truck will barely move on flat dry pavement in high range, in low 4 itll go better but shudders, I been using the hydroturn on my plow to push me out of the big piles. Damn 700r4 @#$%

9. bgrover

bgrover Member

"Blew" my E40D X-mas day as well ('95 F250 460cid 135,000 miles)!

Doing my last push on my own drive felt something "strange". Backing up saw a trail of fluid. Still would move forward and reverse. Shop called yesterday and said it was the fluid pump that went, but didn't like what they saw in the pan.:(

They are pulling it out and looking into it I should have an estimate Thursday. Thankfully I don't plow as a business, and nothing is forcast for the next several days, so while I want it ASAP it won't kill me if I don't get it.

Oh well, there goes the new washer & dryer for Christamas!

10. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Is the trans really $4000? I was debating with a guy on another site and he was claiming he spent under 3000.

11. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

4LOW

How much of a tranny saver would it be to use 4LO for all wet and/or medium deep snow events. ?........going through the constant 4h to 4l shifting ?

12. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

whatever you do if you ever need tranny work DONT, I SAID DONT, go to Cottmans Transmissions. i learned my lesson the hard way but due to their screw up i wound up getting a Jasper tranny installed at their (Cottmans) expense by a Ford dealer.

13. Plow Meister

B White,

Using 4 low is kind of a catch-22... It does save the trans as far as the transfer and development of torque by asking the transfer case to multiply torque instead of the trans. On the other hand, using 4 low in deep wet heavy snowcan get you stuck easier since you transferring so much torque to the wheels. I very rarely use 4 low when plowing. The way I see it, if I can't do it in 4 hi than I need to take smaller swipes. It also takes FOREVER to back up in 4 low.

14. Plow Meister

Joey D,

With the HD torque converter and shiping it comes to almost $4000.00. I talked to Brian about 6 months ago and I was tempted then to make the journey to his shop (I don't remember where) and have him do the work. My pocketbook swayed me otherwise. No biggie. I talked to the trans guy today and he should be finished with it by Thursday eve. Until then I am driving my company (Lowe's Home Improvements) truck around town. It is a Chevy "Isuzu" cabover with a 12' flat dump and a 4 popper diesel guzzler. When I hit the skinny pedal my coffee doesn't even spill:mad: