1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blew hydraulic hose now plow won't angle

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bizzo15, Nov 18, 2012.

1. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Like the title says I fired up my old chevy with the western on it to move it to a new spot and when I went to angle the plow it started to angle and then stopped and started spraying fluid everywhere. I lowered the plow and got out of the truck and looked and the left side hydraulic hose had cracked open. I tried to raise the plow but it wouldn't raise and just sprayed fluid out of the busted hose. So I short chained the plow and went and bought a replacement hose. Installed the new hose, topped the resivoir off and tried to angle the plow. It won't angle left or right but will raise and lower. If the plow is lowered and I hit the left angle it will raise the plow. If I hit the right angle the motor will run but the plow doesn't move.

Any idea what's going on here? Do i have to bleed the rams? From what I understood you just angle the plow left and right a couple times to purge the air.
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a valve is sticking or perhaps and electrical problem.. What kind of plow is it? Straight blade? Uni or ultra-mount. Three pulugs at the grill or two.

Ther is no need to bleed the rams. You just fix the leak, top it up and then work it up, down, right and left a bit and then check the fliud again.

Sounds like perhaps the plow has been sitting for a while if the hoses are at the point where they are cracking under pressure. Needs a little tlc perhaps.
  3. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

It is a 2 plug unimount. Plow was installed on truck two seasons ago and at that time I did do a complete fluid flush and refill. It wasn't installed till late in the season so it only saw one plowable event and then sat in the off season. I didn't change the fluid last year because it was new at the end of the season. With the crappy weather we had last year the plow saw maybe 3 events then sat all summer and now I'm trying to get it going to I can sell the truck and plow. So I wouldn't say it's been too neglected while I've owned it.
  4. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Forgot to mention it's a straight blade. Anyone care to point me in the right direction of troubleshooting this?
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

OK on the straight blade isarmatic if the S2 vavle is sticking it will go up on left as you describe. You need to narrow it down to electrical or valve. Pull the cover off the valves & coils. S2 is the top left or the middle one. First get someone to hit the left angle on the controller and hold a screwdriver on the end of the coil to see if the coil is activating (magnetism pulls the screwdriver) If not then you have a power problem. If there is magnetis then you need to pull the S2 valve and either replace it or see if you can get it to move. Some times you can get it to work loose by putting the coil back on while the coil is out and apply / release 12V with little jumper wires. Sometimes you can work them loose like this. If you get it working you will hear a distinct click. Perhaps there is just a wire loose on the coil. Try this and let us know what you find. If it's electrical we can guide you down that road.

Here is a link to the mechanic's guide. http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/21936_121704.pdf
  6. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Thanks, I will check this out and report back when I get some time.
  7. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

You need to change the fluid EVERY year before the start of the season.
    Otherwise your going to run into problems sooner or later.
    And flushing it and putting new fluids in at 2 am in the morning during a blizzard really sucks.
    You do carry spare lines and fluid just in case right?
  8. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

FIrst off, yes I do understand the need of changing the fluid every year, I haven't yet this year because I haven't had a chance to get the plow working and in the garage yet. Even though I'm selling the truck and plow I'll probably still change the fluid for the benefit or the new owner.

Also I am not a commercial plower at this time, so I do not have spare lines on hand but I do keep a thing of fluid on hand. After this little incident I am going to grab a replacement line for sure to have on my newer truck.
  9. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Well the way you wrote it;
    "I didn't change the fluid last year because it was new at the end of the season. With the crappy weather we had last year the plow saw maybe 3 events then sat all summer"

Sounds like you changed at the end of the season 1st year, then the next second year you used the same fluid, and then this third year it went down.

Also, doesn't matter if your a commercial plower or just do your own place, it's just as important to do the yearly maintenance on your stuff.

Less hassles on your part down the road.

I know, I learned the hard way after my first year of plowing, I made that mistake of not changing the fluid and checking my hoses going into my second year of plowing.
    It really does bite to change the hoses and fluid at 2am in the middle of a blizzard.
    Now every year in the last week of October, I do it, haven't had any problems since.

Lastly, if your using a western on your newer truck they have a nice emergency spare parts kit with bolt bag.

Only thing is it only carrys one hose and 1 qt of fluid besides the other stuff like a motor relay kit and a few other things.

I like to carry 2 hoses and 2 qts of fluid.
    I know other guys that carry 4 hoses and 4 qts.
    Just preference, but the kit sounds like it would be good for you for what you are doing.

Good luck in getting it going.