1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blended Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bert510, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Bert510

Bert510 Junior Member
    from PA

Have anyone ever used Mr. Magic or Blizzard Wizard. Just curious of how effective they are as compared to Calcium pellets and if they are ok to use on concrete.
  2. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

we use blizzard wizard. It is sodium chloride with 17% liquid magnesium.

For the Philadelphia region this product works fine for sidewalks.

We also use calcium pellets. Peladow by Dow is about 99% pure calcium, Tetra contains a high % of calcium.

Calcium heats up and melts the snow.

So each product works alittle different, has a very different pricing structure and the calcium will work in alot colder climates.

Calcium will also track into buildings and usually creates an oily slick inside buildings and can create slip hazards on interior stone, concrete floors. It can also damage carpet.

All chlorides are corrosive, usually least to most corrosive is sodium, mag, calcium.

Each product has its place, we always have both on hand, but unless our client specifies calcium, we are using more blizzard wizard.
  3. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

I use both blizzard wizard and peladow. They both do not track into any buildings I maintain. Like bam said they each have their place. IMO I have to use more peladow on the main sidewalks as compared to the b.w. For example: I used 3 50lb bags doing the main walks at a property that usually only takes 1 1/2 50lb bags of Blizzard. Same results, everything was melted and stayed melted throughout the night. But I'd rather use Peladow in the high traffic areas because it doesn't get carried away as much as the b.w does.
  4. Bert510

Bert510 Junior Member
    from PA

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to give a try and see how the customers like it.
  5. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping Senior Member
    from Medford

I use Magic Salt. Best thing I ever used! Saves me time, makes me more money, and makes the clients extra pleased when all is said and done!
  6. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

The dealer I was buying magic salt from stopped carring magic salt and started selling blizzard wizard. I first noticed the smell and color were different. When I used it I knew something was different (not happy). Only when I started asking questions and making plan b did I learn what it was.

Long story short Magic is way better then anything else!