1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blend door replacement?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by WOODY367, Dec 4, 2014.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have a 99 Yukon old body style. I need to replace the defrost blend door "not the actuator". From what I understand I need to remove the dash to get to it, Can anyone help on how to remove it or know a video to help? I have looked and can only find the newer style dash. I am not looking forward to this job. Thank you

2. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen a ton of videos on the accuator not the door and the door being stuck why do you think the door is bad is it broke and flopping around ???

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If your asking, might just want to take it in. There not fun

4. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Yes the door hinge must have froke on the one side and is flopping around.The airis alway coming out the defrost and what ever other place the switch is on like the vents or floor. The heat dries my eyes out and drive me crazy and if the a/c is on the window fogs up.

5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

6. rjigto4oje

Blend is for hot and cold mode is for defrost,panel and floor if it only comes out defrost its not a blend door its a mode door like diesel said they suck

7. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Does a 99 Yukon have Vacuum blend motors?
    I ask because if there is a vacuum leak the air will default to defrost.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No there electric. The selection is right in the middle lower dash. The motor and linkage is by the right foot type area.

9. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

It has electric actuators. Was told it would be a $1000 job not able spend that now. Thanks guys.

10. rjigto4oje

You didn't answer my question are you having a hot cold or a defrost,panel and floor issue

11. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Sorry a defrost/ floor issue.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Hot or cold..... WTF.

13. rjigto4oje

Then you have a mode door issue lets research

14. rjigto4oje

The mode door accuator is just above the gas pedal by the column take the motor out The door may be flopping around due to the gears being stripped out maybe ive seen doors break but thats rare but not impossible

15. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I changed out the actuator which is on the mode door then there is a lonkage that go to the defrost door and that is flopping around inside.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  16. rjigto4oje

Ok in your first post you said i think. The dash can be rolled back like in the video then you can get to the heater box
    Then you'll have to remove the heater box and split the box to replace the door this may be a good time to replace the heater core and evaporator if you choose to do so if you want to go cheap the I'd only replace the heater core do you have access to all data sometimes your local library does mine does the even have factory service manuals

17. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have replaced the heater core already. Yu can get to it in 5 minutes by taking off the bottom panel on the passenger side heater box. I will replace all the doors while I am in there. I can not reach the mode door from that point.

18. rjigto4oje

Ok i didn't know that take your time on a scale from 1 to 10 its around a 6 or 7 do you guys have a pic n pull yard there if so maybe you could practice on a doaner
    Truck only if you want and have the time you could also get the parts there