1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bleeding-tried search already

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IHI, Nov 22, 2003.

1. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Just found this site and it appears to be very informative. Now my question:
    Bought a used 7.5' western that is operated by the old cable system, dont know the pump model or anything as it's that old and any id is long gone. This plow has always been dirt slow, after the first winter I had new cables installed to eleiminate that question, but when I hit moved the arms behind the access covers by hand the plow moved up and down extremely fast, guys at the shop disregarded my testing fun and said the way it is now is the way it's gonna be. Up and down is slow, but tolerable-well not really, but the side to side is a joke. I can literally back up in a 120' parking lot I do and it's just hitting the opposite lock position. Hooked it up the other day to avoid problems when it gets too cold and snow flies and the pump was froze up, gotter back today, sealed the motor case/pump and it works the same if not worse than last season. After reading here, I'm almost positive it's an air bleed problem, but this contractor network link everybody is refering too, I'm missing it somewhere, aka I cant see it anywhere. So can somebody paste a link, or give me a quick rundown on how to bleed this fossil:)
    I deal more with building/remodeling and this plowing is to get away from it all and make some play money, hence me not buying a new plow to play with. Look forward to any hel;p from you fellas, thanks.
  2. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

On track

I think you have it figured if it moves fast when you move the levers under the cover and it works fast it sounds like the controller may not be moving through its entire range and moving the internal levers, I know they do not have to move very far to make a big difference in speed. Check for slop in any of the linkage and also to see if the levers are loose on the shafts.
  3. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I think at one time or another I peeked at the cables and dont remember seeing an adjustment for them? Good sense would tell me that's not the case, so next time I'm at the shop I think I'll take the time to tear the whole thing apart to see wtf is going on. Now that we have the new fluid in there, adjustement shopuld be all that's needed at this point. I do know that I have to fiddle with the joystick when going left to right/right to left as there is one certain spot that allows it to operate-it's kinda of a: joystick full left/right and then raise the stick a touch or kinda move it in a circular motion until it starts to move the plow.
  4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

IHI............One of your cables should have a adjustment
    setting for either side to side or up and down !
    (Quoting from OLD memory now).
    Western lists 2 cables...1 adjustable...1 not

If your pump works better by taking off the covers
    and messing with it and it works faster....then its
    gotta be your cables !

They were always a issue with my old cable operated
    Western after a few winters !

Could your cables be kinked or rusted internally?
    Take them off and give them a test and good lube
    job !

Somebody should stop in and give ya more advise!
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2003