1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bleeding angle rams

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by psehunter007, Feb 2, 2014.

1. psehunter007

psehunter007 Junior Member

I believe I have air in my angle rams after I recently flushed them, but not sure how to properly do it.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Raise the blade just off the floor, angle to the end of travel in both directions several times, check fluid level, done. There is no bleeder screw or anything. Each time the ram collapses most of the fluid, and air, is pushed out. Three full strokes will do it.
    The only thing air will do is make the blade mushy. Air will not just leak into the system. There is so much pressure that any leak allowing air in would allow fluid to leak out because ther is over 1000 psi inside the rams.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  3. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Easier to find a drop off. Hang the plow over the edge and angle back and forth. Works easier that way.

4. mishnick

I have seen people drop their blades in a ditch so the back end of the ram, where the in/out fitting is, is higher so the air bubbles will not get trapped at the ram end but that is not necessary. The speed and pressure of the fluid will purge the air even if it's at max elevation. At 1000 psi, when you hit end of travel and the pump goes over relief the air is compressed and absorbed into the oil. When pressure is released the air re-appears as very tiny bubbles which r easily carried out and back to the reservoir where they settle to the top. It's not like bleeding brakes where there is less than 100 psi and the air remains as a single large pocket at the highest point of the cavity.
    If the rams and hoses were transparent u would see that going to the trouble of driving to a "drop off" is a waste of time. Not sure how that is easier?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  5. psehunter007

Ok I seem to have a leak behind the I believe it's the 4 way L/R valve, if I'm wrong feel free to correct me

6. mishnick

Any leak will allow some air in but mostly oil out. For sure sort out that leak because when the fluid level drops the pump will suck air and then u for sure get air in your rams. Maybe your valve is just loose or an o ring is broken.

7. psehunter007

That's what a buddy of mine said. And from what I see is there is only one gasket with 2 small o-rings where the angle valve bolts to the pump case

8. mishnick

I have never repaired a leaking valve. If tightening it doesn't correct the leak I just replace the valve.

9. psehunter007

I must have mixed my part names up, where it's leaking is behind where the left and right cable hooks to the octagon looking thing, not sure what the part name is.

10. mishnick

U must be talking about an old cable operated conventional plow? No electric valves, just two cables that operate mechanical valves.... That's way before my time so I have no experience with them; however, here is a link to the mechanic's guide for it...
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/62880.pdf