1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bleeders on Spindles/Knuckles Front Axle

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by shade111, Nov 2, 2004.

1. shade111

shade111 Junior Member
    from ct.

Hello!

This is shade and I am still baffled at what the bleeders on the front axle knuckles are for? Or are they bleeders at all? They look like large brake bleeders that you would see on a caliper and they also have from the factory a red rubber cap to keep the dirt out. Anybody have any ideas? This is a 2000 F350 PSD 4 X 4.

Thanks to everybody who helped with the front springs sag problem I had.

shade111

2. geereed

geereed Senior Member

Its a grease fitting

3. shade111

shade111 Junior Member
    from ct.

If it is a grease fitting then what do you use to grease it with, because the end of the fitting is not made for a grease gun, it looks like the end of a brake bleeder ?

4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

It is a grease fitting. Take the truck to a quick lube and point them out to the tech. He will show you how to lube them up with a grease gun. They probably won't charge you either.

5. shade111

shade111 Junior Member
    from ct.

Well went to the quick lube and they had alot of ideas but none were right so I went to the ford dealer and got the right answer bye the third tech who looked at the fittings, and the answer is they are for vaccum operated locking hubs with the switch in side instead of the manual ones. Shade111.

6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Ah, would have never thought of that. Good one to know. Try to post pics if you can. Just curious to see exactly what it looks like.

7. shade111

shade111 Junior Member
    from ct.

I will try to put up a picture of these critters.

8. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Yes those are indeed for the vac hubs and if you dont have vac hubs pulloff the little red caps and fill those fittings with some silicone and put the caps back on.My buddy has had his F250 in the dealers shop 3 times cuz those caps keep falling off and dirt and road grit is getting in there and destroying his wheelbearings.