1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bleed down issue-trouble shooting

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by sachilles, Nov 10, 2008.

1. sachilles

sachilles Junior Member

So I have a meyer plow with an e-47 setup.

Last winter I was having an issue where the plow would not stay raised. It would slowly fall and angle left. It would hit the ground in under five minutes.

I found the troubleshooting guide which indicated that the B valve needed to be replaced or serviced. I bought a new one and installed it. Unfortunately, the problem is still there, but not nearly as bad. It has the same symptoms, but takes two hours to drop.
    If I angle the plow all the way to the left and raise it, it will hold that level(for at least 10 hours).
    It is certainly more usable now.....but being too stubborn to leave well enough alone, I'm curious how to fix it as good as new.

I believe the pump is a e-47, as that is what I can see a small part of the sticker, and it matches pictures on the web, with the exception of missing the drain plug. It has the two filters in the front, but the drain plug is missing(and no evidence of the hole being filled and covered up some how).

2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

By drain plug, do you mean the acorn shaped one on left side?, if so that is not a drain plug it is the crossover relief.:drinkup:

P.S. clean and flush your pump again, probably have O ring pieces stuck in it. (common problem) did you check your seals?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  3. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

You have an older E47, they don't have a drain plug on them. I had the same problem as you, and it was the packing cup on the ram that was worn out. Get yourself a seal kit, and give it a rebuild(I'll guarantee it needs it). You'll be shocked at the buildup of crap down in the base by the strainer. :salute:

http://www.smithbrothersservices.com/meyer_E-47-pump-rebuild.html

4. sachilles

sachilles Junior Member

I'll give that a shot. I'm trying to decide if I wait until spring to do that or not. I know if I start to tear it apart, snow will come they day I start the rebuild.;)
    Considering I only plow my driveway with it, It might not be worth the effort to do until spring.

Seeing as you have dealt with an older one without the drain plug. What is the smart way to drain it?
    I ultimately pumped it out through a line that goes to one of the angle rams. Probably not the best idea for the long term health of the pump. Everything came out very clean, so in that respect, I'm pretty lucky.

Thanks for the help.
    (we got snow today[Central Vermont], but not enough to plow)

5. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

You're right, it will snow the second you take it apart! I'd wait until spring as it is not a big issue. I forget exactly the correct way to drain them, it was a while ago that I had that older one without the drain. B&B (one of the experts on this site)gave me the info. Do a search, it's on here. Don't be fooled by the fluid coming out clean, there's going to be a gooey mess in there if it hasn't been apart in a few years. If you can afford it, get yourself a spare pump for backup, everyone I know with a Meyer has one. That speaks volumes about Meyer products:cry:

6. sachilles

sachilles Junior Member

I don't have a spare pump, but I do have a spare plow truck. I have a jeep scrambler with a manual angle plow and a belt driven pump. I gave it to my bro in law, so if worse comes to worse I can have him come over and plow my driveway.

7. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

I just junked a 69 chevy k10 that had a belt driven 4 way Meyer that was installed when the truck was new. It never had a problem in it's entire life, and still worked perfectly when the truck was junked. The only reason it went was because I could poke my finger through the frame of the truck. 39 years without a problem! Meyer doesn't make anything today that can do that. That's progress for ya! :dizzy: