1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blazer suitability

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by herons, Aug 26, 2002.

1. herons

herons Junior Member

A local dealer here specializes in used truck-like SUV's, especially Blazers. He tells me the Blazer makes a great plow vehicle for difficult driveways, like I have . Is he right, or just a come on ? Are they better, than for ex., an F-150 or Ford Ranger?
  2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Blazer can plow the snow with a 7.5 blade. If you want to plow your driveway or for a few friends then it should be fine for you. But I would not use it for heavy plowing. How many people are you going to plow for? Are you doing this for business?

Keep in mind that Blazer is a full cab so that mean there is reduced visibility when you have to back up. With a pickup it gives you a better visibility. But once again, it will depend on how many people you are going to plow for. Give us more details. The more details you post, the more help you would get from us.
  3. herons

herons Junior Member

Thanks, Stephen for the info. I only want to do my own drive, but it's tough. Would a 6' blade work easier than a bigger one for a small truck ? And I'm still not clear on why a Blazer is recommended, instead of a small pick up . Is it in the design of the front end ?
  4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

The Blazer works good because of the shorter wheelbase, something like 5" less than a shortbed pickup. That translates into more maneuverabiliity and less tendency for the inside rear wheel to tread in teh snow on turns.

The Blazer (I assume you're talking a fullsize Blazer, not the S-10 version) shares the drive components with the K10/K1500 pickups, so no lack of strength there.

As for plow width, a 6' plow, when angled, won't clear as wide a path as the truck track width so you would be constantly running in the snow you had just moved aside, pushing it back into your plowed path. On a straight push in deep snow you would always be running in snow with all four wheels, not at all good for traction.

As for visibiliity, I look out the rear window on a pickup so rarely that it's no different than having the full cab on a Blazer. I don't see where you lose a lot as long as you still have your mirrors.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2002
  5. long0

long0 Senior Member

I plowed with a full size blazer for 5 year. As long as you are talking about a full size, I see no reason for it to not work for you.

I believe all the blazers (full size) have solid front axles, so you should have no problem with the front end. I still have a Bronco (approx. the same size) in my fleet. It is strictly used for driveways. The tight turning radius of that size vehicle compared to a reg. cab long bed pickup cannot be beaten.

I would suggest going to at least a 6.5' blade. With the tighter turning radius of the blazer, you will still be driving over unplowed snow. Just be sure to keep a good ice scraper with you to clean off the rear window once it builds up with snow.

6. wxmn6

Alan, I was thinking about the visibility during night time. When it is dark, you cannot see very well between the side mirrow and end of your truck. Maybe it is just the beginner's experience I am having? Last year was my first year plowing. Due to lack of snow I only had two plowable events and both of them occured after midnight in dark. No street lights.

A few times I drove my parents van in the dark and it is not always easy seeing where I am backing up to. So I guess it depends on everyone's experience and how well they can see in the dark when driving.
  7. wxmn6

herons, you said that you would only be doing your driveway so the Blazer should be fine. You don't need a heavy duty snowplow. I think that the best snowplow for this situation would be Sno-way. They are lighter but still strong. You could put a 8' blade on it and it should still be easier on the front end. I think that Alan runs a 8' Sno-way blade on his S-10.