1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blazer/Meyers Lift Mount Angle ????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by k5blazer, Dec 30, 2003.

1. k5blazer

k5blazer Junior Member

Hello, At what angle should a Meyer's lift mount be when installed on an 86 full size Blazer? I have seen some almost straight up (90 degrees from the frame) and some tilted forward at maybe 70-75 degrees. The bolt holes in the truck frame and lift frame will allow me to go from about 60 degrees to straight up 90 degrees.

A little background, I have the lift frame and the spreader bar and I am fabricating the thrust arms and frame brackets, so I can do it at any angle. The only clue I get from the little bit of literature I have is to have the A-frame mount holes between 9 1/2 - 10 1/2 inches above the pavement. Also, where should those ears be relative to the front of the truck? Sticking out? Under the truck? Even with the front of the truck frame or lift mount?

Thanks, as always. This site is great and I appreciate all the help I have received to date.

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not quite sure what it is EXACTLY that your asking, but here's my interpretation.

Make sure the Sector and A-Frame are LEVEL and parallel to the ground. Your method of mounting from here is totally up to you.

If it's NOT level, angling to the side will lift or drop the leading edge of the plow.....=....Not good.

Keep it level. From there, its up to you how your going to mount it.

3. k5blazer

k5blazer Junior Member

Thanks for the reply.
    So if I understand you, it is the A-frame and sector that will dictate the angle of the lift mount frame. Am I right? If I am, I need to wait because I do not have an A-frame, sector or blade yet.

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Now I get it.....

Your asking about the TRUCK MOUNT then?

The angle of the light bracket/hoist mount in relaionship to what? The grill? You mean the tower would lean forward? I don't understand.

I would think there is only ONE way to mount it. I've put Meyer mounts on 4 different GM trucks so far, and they are pretty self explanatory. Don't you have the directions?

Is this the newer style removable mount, or the older style fixed (behind bumper) type? Either way, I'm not sure that mounting it any other way than the manufacturer wants would be beneficial.

I say stick to the manufacturers recomendation straight up.

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Here I go again.....Not reading fully.! :rolleyes:

Looks like you don't have a complete setup, right? Why not order the proper parts? Junk Yard?

As for the location of the push beam. There are two styles of A-Frames. Short and long. Short is for the newer style, long are for the "behind the bumper" older styles. Put a short A-Frame on an older mount and at full angle your hitting the bumper with the moldboard! :nono:

I'd say to get some measurements/pictures off a similar truck. I'd still rather see you with the proper parts. There are weak spots built into all plows to prevent damaging your truck. Make yours TOO strong and you'll not be enjoying that benefit.

Good Luck

6. k5blazer

k5blazer Junior Member

Thanks again.

It is the older style "behind-the-bumper" and I did not know about short or long A-frames, so thanks for that!

Yeah, the question is about the truck mount where the pump and lights get mounted. The angle in question - does it sit upright (parallels to the grill) or does it need to lean forward, away from the grill. I have seen the same year trucks with the same frame mounted both ways, which is why I am confused.

I will try to take some pics tonight and post tomorrow

TLS, thanks for taking the time to help :drinkup:

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

On my '75 Burban (Uncle to your Blazer), the light/hoist mount is for the most part parallel to the grille.

I've never seen them any other way. I also cannot see any advantage to mounting it any other way.

Hope this helps.

8. Mount

Mine is cocked forward about and inch. Not exactly parallel. Works fine for me.

9. acornish

acornish Senior Member

I belive he is talking about the pump itself and how it mounts on the tree-- some of the real old ones actually stood strait up and down the newer or ones built in the late 70s or 80s sat at a 24 degree angle away from the grills