1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blades still wobble

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by americanlawn, Jan 13, 2011.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn Junior Member
    from Midwest

Two of our Western plows "wobble" badly. They are 8 foot Pro-Plows (Unimount 8 foot blades).

Eight inches up & eight inches down (or more) at each end. This "sway" equates to about 1 1/2 feet of "wobbling" as we drive down the road. We do not feel safe with this whatsoever.

Last year we took both plows to our local Western dealer & explained our concerns. Dealer said they "tightened up some bolts, so that should solve the problem".

Yet we saw no difference whatsoever after we got a hefty bill for this non-improvement.

I know that new units do not wobble. So what's up? Any advice is much appreciated, cuz we do not feel safe using these "wobbling blades". :cry: rscvp, thanks
  2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

There should be a piece of flat stock welded onto the a frame that holds the main pivot pin. If the main pivot bolt loosened, and that opening was widened from use-it will allow the wobble. Slack in the angling cylinder pins and holes will contribute to the wobble as well. Sounds like it's just worn out and you might just need new pins, and maybe need to reinforce that center hinge and install a brand new bolt.
  3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

The center bolt goes through the A frame and the quadrant, The holes are "Oval", because the pivot bolt was never maintain ever season...The bolt loosen up and the hole became oval..Bring it to a welder and he can re-do the holes again.
  4. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

See that alot. We have a fix for the problem, including some welding and braceing to keep it sturdy. Where are you from?
  5. KM81

KM81 Member

Absolutely Correct
  6. americanlawn

from Midwest

Thanks guys. This seems to be our problem. We have our plows serviced nearly every fall (depending on hours used). These two "straight blade 8 foot Pro plows" are 12 years-old now. My Western 8' 2" V-Plow is about 9-years-old, but it has never experienced any wobbling whatsoever. Go figure.

Should I find a local welder? Cuz each time we take them to our local Western rep, we get the plows back in the same condition? This excessive wobbling concerns me -- especially cuz new units do not do this. ????????
  7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

As stated above the center pin is the likely cause. A few things can be looked at as solutions.
    1. Look into purchasing new A frames and center pin. If memory serves they are around 300 or so from many distributers.
    2, Purchase a new center bolt/pin along with this A frame
    3. Weld a piece of steel under the L shaped piece of steel that holds the Quad fram to the A frame. This is where the Quad angels.

I have used both of these options before and find that just replacing the A fram and pin seems to be the best option.
  8. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

In addition to the points previously listed, look in the pivot bar area. The "configuration" plates have holes that wear. The pivot pins and/ or ears can break. The steel blocks on the ends of the pivot bar can wear grooves in them as well as wear the plate that captures them. Usually these areas need tightening a couple times per year based on heavy use. Once things loosen up other things wear even quicker. Weld shop and new parts are probably in order.
  9. twinman326

Take the plow to a welder..Have him fix the holes and weld a good solid washer that fit the size of the bolt on top of the quadrant...I had it done, and never had a problem..Maybe in a bloom moon I have to snug the bolt..And just in case, I check the bolt every season for maintenance , and if needed I replace it..If it breaks on the road, you don't want to be fixing the plow in the middle of the street, or in the customer driveway.. Quadrant and "A frame just have to be repair....Don't have to go out and spend a couple of hundred of dollars or more on the frames, where a good welder could fix if for less. Or less you have millions sitting in the bank then spend the money on new frames..That why we have welder to do the job......
  10. billet-boy

billet-boy Member

Wow I need to fix mine I just checked the back-up truck and it has about 10 inches of up and down motion.
  11. twinman326

I would do something about that instead of just thinking about it........
  12. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

At our shop we use two pieces of one inch inside diameter pipe and weld them one on top and the other to the bottom of the pivot point. This only takes about two to three hours (when I do it). This actually provides a larger surface area on the pivot point and really takes up a lot of the slop. As I recall the top tube welds to the quadrant and moves with the plow blade while the bottom tube welds to the a frame providing beef on both halves. Be sure to assemble all the layers and tubes with a sufficiently long bolt before welding to ensure allignment. After welding the tubes remove the bolt and apply some antisieze compound. In my experience this repair has alway made the owners very happy. Most people with plows this old and worn just want to make it last "one more season" but end up coming back for years saying it works so well they decided to keep it! Any local welder who is worth his weight should be able to do this for about $200.
  13. americanlawn

from Midwest

I have just the right local welder who will do the job. You guys certainly know your stuff. Thanks so much, Larry, Des Moines, IA

p.s. I need to get rid of that beer fat around my face and not get such a short hair cut next time. Otherwise the chicks will quit hovering around me. :laughing:

Jan 27 me.jpg