1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade wont raise old western plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sctrip2, Dec 19, 2011.

1. sctrip2

sctrip2 Junior Member

I can't seem to get my blade up. I installed a new electric motor and all contacts are good. The arm will raise without the blade hooked up and I can push the arm down by hand. I replaced the fluid on my old western pump with fresh ATF and bled it to death. Still can move the arm up and down by hand feeling little to no pressure at all. What next ????? Bad pump ??? bad orings in the cylander ???? Any ideas ????

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Test pressure of the pump.
    Western Website has it on it. Look up the mechanics guide for your unit.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

AS Matt said, check the pressure output of the pump. It sounds like either the wiper seals on the lift cylinder are bad, or possibly an o-ring under the pump.

4. sctrip2

sctrip2 Junior Member

thanks so much ill go there next.

5. sctrip2

sctrip2 Junior Member

I just ordered a new pump and seals. Thanks for the info. Being its a older western plow is ATF recommended or is there something better to use nowadays ????

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I always ran the low-temp hydraulic fluid, but ATF is fine. If you want to try it (works great at colder temperatures) they sell it here in town at O'Reilly's.

7. Builder630

Builder630 Member

I just drained my pump, cleaned the filter, replaced the hoses and refilled with Western oil..... Am I supposed to bleed? and how is that done? I didnt see that in the Western mechanic guide...

8. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Turn it from left to right a few times and then check fluid. I then go up and down then left and right a few more times and check again. It should be fine after that. mine always is any way

9. Builder630

Builder630 Member

Thanks, kind of like a power steering pump than

10. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Not far from it as far bleading