1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade won't lower

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Woodpecker, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Woodpecker

Woodpecker Junior Member
    from Iowa

I recently purchased a used Western plow with an Isarmatic motor/pump assembly. I have mounted the support bracket, pump, cables and remote solenoid. The raise and lower cable needs to be replaced. I tested the unit by raising the joystick. The pump started and the ram extended upward. The problem is, I can not get the ram to lower. I tried it with the joystick and nothing happens. I removed the box where the cable connects to the valve assembly. I manually moved the lever to lower the ram and still nothing happens. I tried pushing the ram down without success. Note, the plow is not hooked up yet. My question is, should I be able to push the ram in without having the plow on. If not, how can I get the ram back into the cylinder. Also, is there a fluid screen that I need to clean, and if so where is it?

Thanks,

Woodpecker

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes when these Western pumps set around for a while the packing in the lift ram dries up a bit and shrinks tight around the lift cylinder making it difficult to lower the ram without the plow attached.No big deal though,just take a long bar (digging bar,crowbar, that sort if thing) and stick it down through where the lift chain hooks on to the lift arm.Then flip the valve to the lower position and pull down on the bar.After you use the pump a few times they'll loosen up some and you'll be able to push it down by hand again.

3. Woodpecker

Woodpecker Junior Member
    from Iowa

Thanks, your fix worked great.

4. All In One Spec

All In One Spec Junior Member

You can also loosen the jamb nut on the top of the ram with a pipe wrench. When the plow sits for a while the packing dries up. Once you loosen the jamb nut, spray some silicone on the ram. Adjust the nut so the ram moves smoother. Sometimes when you dont periodically adjust the jam nut, it will actually rip the packing and boy do you have mess. Found this out from the Westerns I have at work.

5. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

What you have just witnessed, was a fine example of how we can all help each other out!
    This Forum Kicks incredible amouts of Snow covered A$$!:salute:

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

LOL! :D Thats great