1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade won't lower, western electric

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by jaded13640, Dec 30, 2013.

1. jaded13640

jaded13640 Junior Member

Hi, new to the forum and I have a question maybe you guys can answer.

I've got an ultramount western plow with the flostat hydraulic system.

It raises, goes side to side fine but won't lower.

I assume that since it's electricly operated it must be the solenoid that opperates the release valve. When you hit the button to lower it I don't hear any sounds, ie clicking, motor running, and I don't notice any power draw.

It's got three solenoids under a plastic cover that attaches to the valving system.
    Which solenoid operates that function? How do I test them?

Thanks,

Wayne

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok what you can do. Remove the plastic cover hiding the coils on the plow. Turn the trk on. Press the button in the joystick till float light comes on. Test light needed. Clamp on gnd. Now you gunna ck for pwr at the S-1 coil. Why/yel wire. WATCH YOUR FEET. Or put a jackstand under the plow.
    You should have pwr. If not, you need to start back probing the system to see where you lost signal.
    To see if the system is operating properly you can supply pwr at the wht/yel wire and see if the plow drops
    No matter what watch your feet!! Might just be better to support plow no matter what

3. jaded13640

jaded13640 Junior Member

dieselss, you say to check the S-1 coil. There are three solenoids. Can you tell me which one is the S-1? There may only be one wht/yel wire in which case it doesn't matter I'm curious.

Thanks,

Wayne

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes theres only one. Its the first one

5. jaded13640

jaded13640 Junior Member

It works!

The first thing I did was set the salamander aiming at the hydraulic system and let everything get nice and warm. Next I took the cover off to expose the solenoids. I crimped the wire connecters so they'd fit a little tighter. I then cleaned all the old grease out of the connectors between the plow and truck. I took an appropriate sized drill bit and scraped away any corosion in the female connectors and blasted everything with brake cleaner. Then a good coat of dielectric grease.

Everything worked great.

When the issue initially came about, it wouldn't lower, I had to loosen the line to the lifing ram and let the fluid drain to get it to lower. Since I didn't have any of the "correct" fluid for the system I added some transmission fluid to top it off. About 2/3 of a quart. I'll get some of the correct stuff this week. I figured it would be better to have trans fluid in it than not enough fluid.

What is the capacity of that system and what's a good procedure to thoroughly drain the system? Obviously there's a drain plug on the bottom of the tank but that doesn't remove the old fluid from the hoses or pistons. Should I remove the lines and get as much out as possible or just drain the tank and refill?

Thanks for all the help,

Wayne

PS, I worked on it yesterday in single digit temps because we were supposed to get a butload of snow last night. Since I fixed it we didn't get a flake of snow. Kind of like when I bought my generator for the power outage and the power came back on the next day. So to everyone in the mid michigan area, you're welcome! LOL.

6. jaded13640

jaded13640 Junior Member

CRAP! It did it again. I'm not sure if the solenoid is sticking, the valve is sticking or there's ise in the system.

I brought it back inside, wiggled unplugged and re plugged the connector between teh plow and truck,, no help, wiggled the connector to the release solenoid, no help so I was getting the salamander set up and it lowered on it's own. BEFORE I even put any heat to it. It was a few degrees warmer in the shop but 8 degrees outside, that's not enough to have melted any ice.

I think I may hook up a momentary button to the release solenoid. If it does it again, I'll try manually putting power to it. That would at least narrow it down.

PITA!

Wayne