1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blade turns left when trying to raise

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nelson4047, Jan 21, 2009.

1. nelson4047

nelson4047 Member

i have a brand new this year 8' pro & when i try to raise the thing the blade turns left. it will turn left or right when i comand those functions,& ihave got it to work by cycling it back & forth a few times. it dont happen all the time but makes me a little pissed when in the middle of a job any ideas would be great thank you

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like no power to the solenoid at times/ that what happened to my myers plow. Check your electrical connections at the pump

3. My Pro Plus has been in to the dealer 5 times for repair for the exact same problem. Western tech support had them do a ton of adjustments and tests and none of them fixed the problem. Finally, after having to get EXTREMELY confrontational, they replaced the pump, everything works great now. If only I could be reimbursed for the 10+ hours of lost plowing I had, and the 5 trips to the dealer and the 12 hours of down time waiting for repairs!

This was on a 2008 model ProPlus 7.5ft with wings.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

hand held control or joystick

5. Handheld digital controller

6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

do you have a different control to try?

7. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Make sure the joystick harness plug is all the way in...ours does this occasionally does the same thing. We had to tape the connection together.

8. The dealer replaced the controller on my second time there for repair. That did not fix the problem. They tried every possible adjustment before finally just replacing the pump. Everything works great now with the new pump. According to Western (but I don't believe it) this was the first time they ever encountered this type of problem, which is why they had to go through every other kind of repair/adjustment before replacing parts. All I know is it finally works now.

9. nelson4047

nelson4047 Member

its hard to believe its the pump because it works most of the time, i have a joystick and thought possibly could be in that, when wiggling the stick around in came out of the problem of turning left when trying to raise. it did this a few times so far, it would almost be better if it would quit alltogether so i can find the problem

10. i have had the same problem . cant catch it dooing it to try to trouble shoot i thought it was me !! 9 foot pro plus

11. sheltonct

sheltonct Junior Member

try checking the 9 pin grill connection - i had your problem and this was it - if you angle the connection different ways, i was able to determine this was my problem - i thought i also had a bad controller/solenoid.

to determine which side, plow or truck, is a different story - go with the cheaper of the 2 and replace

12. thebigdog

thebigdog Junior Member

13. karl halozan

karl halozan Junior Member

I have a brand new Western Mid Weight that turned left when trying to raise-1st time out. The problem went away but the second time out it didi it agin but this time would not go up. After the dealer (FDR Roselle Pl. NJ) tried replacing the 3 way valve, the plow still malfuntioned (at the dealer) so, they replaced the pump. Went out to plow the next storm and all worked fine for about two hours and the blade stuck all the way to the left and went down very, very slowly. Went back to the dealer last week and they informed me of a bad batch of pumps Western had run . OK, put another new pump on. On saturday 2/7/09 I plowed some left over snow & ice and again the plow got stuck in the left position and would not turn right and goes down very slowly. Three times in one month this new plow has broken down on me and I see no end in site. I'll be requesting the dealer to remove the Western and put something else on and let Wetsern sort out their problems.

14. ford 350

ford 350 Junior Member

Did this get worked out for you? I have an MVP plus that has not left the dealer since they received it. It is malfunctioning in similar ways, doing wierd things totally different than the comand you give through the controller.

15. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I had an old Pro plow that did the same thing. The problem, at least for me, was the plugs had a bad connection.

I'm not going to tell any one to go and start cutting wires but i did cut mine 2" from each plug then replaced them. It was simple and worked but i wouldn't attempt this unless you can and are willing to replace the wiring harness if it doesn't work.

16. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

sounds like a valve is getting stuck.

17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Agreed, 4 way valve

18. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

In 2008 Western did have a bad batch of pumps, metal shaving left in the housing that got stuck in the valves and cylinders. If the pump was replaced and not the cylinders then you may see this same problem again. if you do have the pump replaced have the tech also flush the cylinders and hydraulic hoses.

19. ford 350

ford 350 Junior Member

Ya they've been telling me it has shavings in it. Comes standard, no extra charge lol :dizzy:

I've been back twice now and it still isn't working. The plow hasn't left the dealer for a month.

Tomorrow I'm asking for a pro plus. Now I'm leary of any v plow for fear of complex expensive problems that may occur.

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Pro Plus isn't immune to it either so don't expect 100% contentment simply by switching plow styles. But best of luck regardless. :salute: