1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade tripping problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bone705, Mar 8, 2014.

1. bone705

bone705 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I recently bought a f250 with a western ultramount 7.6 pro. I tried it out on the last storm which was only 2" snow/sleet. On every pass the blade would constantly trip. I tightened the two trip springs almost all the way. It was then useable, but still would trip on normal passes on a smooth lot. I was thinking maybe the springs could be wore out or the attack angle is incorrect. Here are some pics of my set up.

plow1.jpg

plow2.jpg

plow3.jpg

plow4.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Replace springs and lose the shoes

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Add few more springs Sleet will make any plow trip a lot

4. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Looks like the center pin / hole may be worn too.

5. bone705

bone705 Junior Member
    from Indiana

If you are talking about this one, then you would be correct. It is very loose. It appears to be broken and not fixed correctly. Does someone have a picture of how it is suppose to be?

plow center bolt.jpg

plow center bolt 2.jpg

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yeah that's hosed up and you'll need to tear it down to repair correctly. I'm not running Westerns so the only thing I can suggest is to go to Westerns website and look at the parts poster for your plow and to post this pic on the Western thread here on PS.

As far as your tripping issue goes I see a couple things that don't appear to be correct, the trip springs look as if they're too long, you're attack angle appears to be too steep. Looking at the plow shoe mount and the attack angle of the edge it seems to be leaning forward.

uni.png

7. bone705

bone705 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I thought the blade appeared to be laying too far forward as well. How would I go about correcting the angle?

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

That part looks like it has a broken bushing
    Install new pivot bar or weld a new bushing in The side pins will be loose to

I would add a third spring

You need to look for wear on the mold board where it bolts to the frame
    That will change your attack angle

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

First I'd take a protractor to see what the attack angle is and compare that to what it's suppose to be.
    Just looking at the pictures it appears the moldboard has seen some use/abuse and may be bent. But without actually seeing the plow in person I can't offer any suggestions other than check the moldboard and the sector.

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

has someone messed with the stops? they look like they are in a different positions, left looks farther forward...

rule of thumb for springs, tighten till you can slide a credit card between the coils

11. bone705

bone705 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Im not seeing where the stops have been messed with. The springs are to where a business card easily slides in. Ill find a protractor, and measure the angle here in the next couple days.

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Business card. Credit card is too tight

13. bean7654

bean7654 Member

Somethings not right. I know that the shoe should be perpendicular to the ground.

14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ck the center bolt, d-frame and a-frame points

15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

might be the angle of the pic....can you manually pull the plow back more?..if not what is it hitting, thought the left stop might hit before the right

16. bean7654

bean7654 Member

Looks the it could be the end of the A-Frame is bent down at the bolt. The A frame seem level but the plow seems to angle downward at the circled bolt. Could just be the pic though...

Untitled.png

17. bone705

bone705 Junior Member
    from Indiana

The end of the a frame doesnt appear to be bent. I finally found a protractor. The cutting edge is sitting almost 80 degrees. I was thinking it shouldn't be much more than 70?

18. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Can you manually push the blade back?

I think you're sprigs are completely worn out among other things. Like buff said the cutting edge isn't even straight.

The bolt you need to have it fixed as well. You maybe be able to cut that plate out and weld a new one in. If not you need a sector