1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade trip edge mechanism

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BoulderBronco, Dec 1, 2003.

?

Which trip design do you prefer?

1. Fisher and Diamonds (I think that's it)

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Meyer, Western and others

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

I personally am a huge fan of the Fisher trip edge design. I have a lot of experience with Fishers and love them. I also installed Westerns for a few years and, no offence to anyone, could never understand why you would want one. That goes for meyer and other like plows. When the blade trips on those plows you can easily get stuck in the snow you are pushing never mind you blow your load. :confused: I want to hear peoples reasons on why they like those plows that the whole blade trips. I am 99% sure you won't change my opinion but I feel I need to be better educated on the benefits of those type of trip systems and why so many people use them. All I am referring to here is the trip mechanism design, not the whole plow.

2. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I find full trip plows to be somewhat easier on your truck, however this isn't always the case. It really depends on what you hit to cause the plow to trip.

3. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

I have used Meyer and now a Fisher. I also strongly prefer the trip edge design (Fisher). It does seem to hold the plowed snow much better when it trips.

just my .02

Mac

4. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i like full trip plows.why you say because you can't tell if the blade is tripping on a fisher diamond or even the western MVP.by seeing the plow trip its telling me i have to much of a load on her or hey your hitting something you shouldn't.last year in the blizzard after it stopped a plowed 16 to 20 inches on that last push.well when the plow loaded up with to much snow it would trip and i would slow down to let the plow catch up by pushing that snow off.plus a trip edge like fisher is alittle harder on the truck and the operator

5. smwmarc

smwmarc Junior Member
    from Maine

I never used a full trip plow except for the one on my 112 JD garden tractor! However, our neighbor had one on an international pickup truck, and I used to watch him all the time plowing, or should I say trying to plow. He would barely go anywhere when the thing would trip and make a mess of what he was pushing and he would have to stop and back up and try again. :angry: :realmad: It looked like such a waste of time to me. Actually I used to think the guy was an idiot and didn't know what he was doing or he just had some cheap piece of junk. Now maybe he was using it wrong or it was the rough gravel driveway he had, but in any case that was a real world situation with not a good real world solution in my book.

I have been much more familiar and comfortable with the Fisher plow growing up, and more recently in the last 10 years the Diamond (both originate here in Maine).

As for knowing when the blade trips, once it has happened to you a few times you certainly can recognize it, but most of the time (since you already know what the place your plowing looks like under the snow) it is just because you are digging in soft dirt or come upon something frozen solid (i.e. rocks or snow/ice clods). So the blade trips over it and you either back off or keep going with the load now that you are over it. If it is more substantial than what the trip mechanism can handle then it doesn't really matter what you have on the front of your truck it is most likely whats behind the wheel that isn't working properly.:eek: :nono:

In my opinion I would rather keep working than be hassled all the time with the blade laying on the ground. Besides, it looks kinda silly when the thing flops over flat like that.

6. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I like the trip edge design.

7. Hiwire

Hiwire Member

My old truck was a 75 F100 with a meyer plow. It worked well and I plowed a lot of snow with that setup but was always sorry I had that blade trip to mess with. Then for several yrs I plowed with a 350 Power Wagon with a 9' Fisher. Im not a Dodge fan but i LOVED that setup. No more spilling a blade full of snow and it seemed to scrape cleaner. Now that I have my own plow again, I opted for the Fisher. Im glad I did. It still trips if I hit something, just not the whole blade and doesnt waste as much of my time by having to pick up dumped snow as much.The F150 #7700 is a truck that Ford made just for use as a plow truck and it does the job well. Its really a 3/4 ton truck with a 1/2 ton label. Actually I believe the new one is even heavier #(#8200?) The 5.4 seems to have more than enough pwer and the limited slip on my truck makes it really stable. Guess Im just one of those dyed in the wool Ford guys. and Im becoming the same way about the Fisher plows.
    Ray

8. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I have a 8 foot fisher(trip edge) my father was using a 9 foot western (full trip) at the time.We were both plowing the same parking lot his plow was triping a lot he would drive pass me just leaving a mess.I would have to swing back by and clean up his pass.I agree the full trip plows are less abuse on the trucks and the driver,but the full trip would probably drive me crazy.My opinion the trip edge plows tend to scrape a little better and hold heavy snow better.

9. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i found that the full trips clean better.when i worked at a ford dealership they had many different types of new trucks with plows.i was lucky enough to be the guy that had to clean out the lot.well i found the full trip plows scaped better and back drag a 100 times better than a fisher or diamond trip edge

im000183 (3).jpg

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

While I don't have experience with trip EDGE plows, I do have some experience with full trip plows.

It will all depend on the job and the object that is hit to make it trip.

If your plowing streets, and frequently hit manhole covers, and storm grates, then a trip EDGE would be your best choice. Same would apply to lots where you KNOW whats under the snow.

BECAUSE....

IF you hit something that is HIGHER than the pivot point of that trip edge, your either going to move that object, or come to a complete STOP. A fine example of this is a standard height CURB. With all the parking lots these days containing curbed islands, this is a COMMON obstruction. Some islands popping up during a season.

Hit a curb with a full trip, and your going trip and climb right over it.

Full trip blades that trip under heavy snow loads aren't sprung correctly. While I had heavy snow tripping problems with my ST Meyers, my C-8 works fine in the heavy stuff.

I guess you know how I voted.

11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like full trip its easier on the truck

12. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I prefer the trip edge but can see certain snow events and jobs were a full trip would be handy.They both have their places and each seems to work best under certain conditions but if i can only have one then it's gonna be a edge rather than full blade.

13. szorno

szorno Senior Member

TLS hit is right. If you have a lot of objects to hit or get deep snow often, then the full trip is best/safest. If you only plow open areas shallower snow or roads then the edge trip is better. We have deep snow (10+ in) several times per year. I would make a mess of my truck with an edge trip plow. I also like the ProPlow with the shock absorber on the return. That clang of the blade slamming back scares the pi$$ out of me. :D

14. shoctor

shoctor Junior Member
    from ny

I have operated both the edge and full trip. Currently on the truck I do have a western pro plow I was a huge fisher man and came across a deal on the western that couldn't be refused (hence on the truck now) I had problems with it tripping on gravel and had springs adjusted and no longer a problem. I hit a well housing last winter that was not marked by the homeowner and insisted was on the other side of the driveway. The plow tripped over with a big bang and still sheared off the well head and sent pump and electrical to bottom of the well. Had I still had the fisher on I have no doubt it too would have stopped me short or sheared the well head off. I don't honestly think either has a real advantage or disadvantage over the other just 2 different designs. If both are set up properly you shouldn't have a problem with either and both are just as likely to cause damage to your truck and or what you hit.

15. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

ok first of all they all work fine we could all argue the points all day all night its been done here before.but for you guys that are doing smaller lots even mediom sized lots and your ripping stuff out the ground its time to slow down when the blade trips and the truck stops get out to see what it is yes the blade or edge is desighned to do that but this is for the everybody they are also for the safty of the truck so you dont wreck it if it didnt trip you would bend the frame so take your time you shouldnt be doing 50 mph unless your clearing highways and in that case you shouldnt be using pick up trucks smaller thatn the f 650.

and buy way mike 9497 thanx for posting my truck it looks good

im0001~1.jpg

16. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I'm a hardcore western full trip fan.

TLS said it all with curb, and I was surprised it took so long for someone to mention it. I've plowed with a fisher before but never smacked a curb with it, that must rattle your teeth.

Also, I will sometimes pack the snow by pushing into a curb or the bottom of a frozen pile (helps on slushy stuff). I too have noticed my western tipping on a heavy load, but only to find a broken spring causing this.

As to those who accuse us full tippers of blowing our loads, the edge trippers will also lose something. For my accounts, I want all of the snow plowed, so even a small blown load is enough to require cleaning up.

17. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

The trip edge loses it load as well, unless your crawling. When my plow trips it comes up high and the snow doesn't come with it. I don't think one design scrapes better than the other it would be more of the edge that controll the scraping ability.

18. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Well I have heard some good arguments. Not changing my plow but I understand better why people opt for the full trip design plows. I have hit curbs with my Fisher many times to pile snow. The edge will trip so it still cushions the truck/driver but I would imagine if you hit it hard it may cause a bit of whiplash. Although I think the Fisher would hope over the curb when the edge tripped. A guy I work with did manage to shear the pivot pin off his 8' Fisher last year. Not sure what he hit but he must have hit it hard. Well thanks everyone for your replies and keep them coming.