1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade Treatment???

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Nanook, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Nanook

Nanook Junior Member

I'm a newbie to this and I have a simple question. Is there anyway to decrease the amount of snow that sticks on the blade?

2. BSM Exhaust

BSM Exhaust Member

Ive been plowing for 20 years and if its wet and sticky it stays where it wants. Just knock it off before you hit the road so you dont run with the extra weight ..

3. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

Have either of you tried Fluid Film? I have heard great things about the stuff for preventing rust and some guys say it works great on the plow to keep the snow off. I have not tried it but was thinking about ordering a can. Let me know what your guys think.

Thanks,
    Don

Donadiosnowplowing@yahoo.com

4. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Fluid film works fantastic

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

It works great for about 3 driveways then its worn off. At $11 a can not worth it to me.

when I painted my plow with Imron paint the snow NEVER stuck to it.

6. dchr

dchr Senior Member

I just started using the stuff after receiving my free sample-bought a gallon can of it and brushed it on the night before-seems like it lasted to me but what do I know:confused:

7. theplowmeister

from MA

Maybe you know more than me... I sprayed it on from a spray can

8. BSM Exhaust

BSM Exhaust Member

Spray your plow with teflon

9. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Not necessarily-maybe I just had better luck with the liquid instead of the can. BTW-I wasn't aware IMRON was still around-have you used it recently? Thanks.

10. BSM Exhaust

BSM Exhaust Member

good luck finding Imron, last time I saw it was 1990.

11. theplowmeister

from MA

It is still available.

12. BSM Exhaust

BSM Exhaust Member

good question. Doubt it though. You may find an old can of it somewhere if you look hard enough.

13. whiteowl

whiteowl Junior Member

This is not a quick solution but I painted my plow last summer with good old Rustolium spray paint from the hardware store. (School bus yellow.) I Just went through the heaviest, wettiest concrete-like snow here in the upper midwest I have seen in years. I worked for more than 2 hours at my buddies store and my own driveway and nothing stuck, not once.

Sorry, but unless you have a warm place and the will to paint in this weather, this tip won't help you till next summer.

14. theplowmeister

from MA

wet snow WITH below freezing like in the 20's air temp. I know from experience that snow sticks really good to Rustolium.

15. BSM Exhaust

BSM Exhaust Member

Best thing Ive used so far to keep snow off my plow is my Timberland boot. Works everytime..

16. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Absolutely-found that out the hard way two seasons ago-that paint sucks-looks pretty but not much good for anything else:angry:

:laughing: