1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade size for RC-30

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by flairlandscape, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Hey guys,

First post - looks like a great site. I've plowed for other companies in the past, but this is my first year going out on my own. I'm looking at an RC-30 to do walkways, driveways, and hoopefully some small parking lots. If I'm able to put a large enough blade on it, I'd just take two blades sizes along with me, a 48", and a larger one. What do you think, any experience?

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

We have 2 bobcat 453 wheeled skid steers. They can push 5' snow plow with easy. They totally saved us on the ice storm we had this year. I personally would go with a wheeled unit over a tracked unit.

3. thanks for the reply - good to know the 453's can push a 5' blade. I've had a lot of people tell me to go with wheeled over track, but I know I'd much much prefer track over wheel in the summer season, thats why.

4. jbsparky

jbsparky Junior Member

An RC 30 can handle a 5 foot blade just fine and for the people that say tracks are not the way to go, they havn't ever run an ASV or CAT with tracks!!

5. Ctll

Ctll Member
    from midwest

RC 30 plowing

I've got an RC 30 with a Snoway MT 80(6'6") on it and it plows great and can still stack snow with the plow on to over 8' with out driving on the pile. the plow frame lets it stack past the lift height of the machine. while it is plowing it has a salt spreader in the hitch. We just had an 12" Storm go through and it had no problems with it except when the wind row gets heavier than the machine and slides the machine sideways. but all you need to do is put the blade straight and push the weight out of the wind row and keep going. I have yet to run into snow that has recently fallen that it will not push with the blade straight. (Driven it through 3' drifts):)

6. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

Amen, Brother...

The Bobcat, JD, Case, New Holland, Gehl, and Takeuchy large lug tracks are horrible in all aspects...

They suck in the snow and ice... They tear up turf... They just don't have the traction... and they ride rough, Etc...

Anyone who has operated a CAT or ASV, will tell you that they are 10 times better than the other styles... You couldn't get me to go back to a wheeled machine, and I had a CAT 262 wheeled unit before my 257B...

I definitely not trying to offend anyone, but I am suprised the other brands can even sell their tracked units... You couldn't give me one...

An RC-30 will run circles around a Bobcat 453... And you should be good w/ a 6-7 foot blade...

7. Hey ctll, that sounds like a great setup. Do you have any pictures of the rc30 with the snoway blade and salter attached? I'd love to see it!

8. Ctll

Ctll Member
    from midwest

I'll take some this week and post them fo you.:cool:

9. Awesome, thanks ctll

10. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

I can't imagine what people are thinking when they say they prefer wheels over tracks. I hate using wheel skids. They hop somthing aweful when its dry, when its snow they have no traction. You have to back them on trailers half the time so they don't tip over. ASV is by far (In my opinion) the best skid steer. They are expensive though. All I have run are bobcats (wheeled), and after using a tracked cat, with asv undercarrige and demoing an asv... I'll never goback. I am waiting for the new editions of the ASV to make it to dealers, and I am picking one up this summer... a PT60 70 or 80. I have seen a guy working near my accounts with a RC30 and he moves some serious snow!

11. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I demo-ed an SR-80 a couple weeks ago, and it was nice... Not as nice as the CAT 287, but nice... about $15000-$20000 cheaper than the CAT...

I'd like to trade my 257B on an SR-80 or the new PT-80 for the extra HP, but we'll see...

12. Ctll

Ctll Member
    from midwest

pics of RC 30

Here are some pic of my RC 30 with the Snoway MT 80 blade and Snoway spreader pics are from my phone because good camera did not want to work:realmad: sorry for the quality.

Feb22_002.jpg

Feb22_003.jpg

Feb22_004.jpg

13. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

When my buddy was looking at a new tracked skid for his Construction company, he was told by a few people one of which was the Cat dealer that the ASV undercarrige will not hold up to the conditions that he will be using it in as well as some other brands. Plus it is alot more expensive to repair. I do not know how true this is, but if the Cat dealer is telling him this? He ended up buying a Takeuchi which has been badass so far!!

14. thanks ctll!

not the clearest pictures, but got a good idea of your set up. it looks awesome. i'm really hoping to get a small skidsteer this spring/summer. i've been looking at dingo's and they'd work great for my summer work, but i want something I can use in the winter as well. My only problem is that I can get a dingo for less than half the price of an RC30.

15. Ctll

Ctll Member
    from midwest

cheaper but?

being able to sit in the heated cab in the snow and riding instead of standing made the extra monthly payments well worth it. The guy who plows across the street does the walks with the dingo on tracks, it only has a 4" blade. But he has on coverall and ski mask and gloves in the snow while I am siting in the cab with carhart pants and a sweatshirt both side window open about two inches. The heater on the RC 30 is just like one in a truck running off the engine coolant, not just a electric heater like some other small machines have, it will run you out of the cab.

16. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

I have a 773 bobcat with a 9 foot bucket it woks great for all applications and pushes way more snow than our trucks, plus the heat is so good I can plow in a t-shirt. I'm not really sure way alot of people are negative about bobcat lately, they still are the number one seller in the u.s. and their support is top notch.

17. That makes sense. What do you use the rc30 for in the summer? I've rented in the past, but think I'm ready to buy one this year. I do a lot of fencing, decks, stone patios, etc, so I think it'd be a great asset for me.
    Also, do you keep it at one site, or do you trailer it around?

18. Ctll

Ctll Member
    from midwest

Rc 30

I use it to haul mulch, dig out for patios, backfill houses, finish grades and landscape bed prep and planting trees. I've got combo bucket, light material bucket, forks(will lift a 2000lbs pallet of ice melt into the dump trailer with 400lbs in the hitch), 48" tiller, 12"&24" augers, FFC Power rake, Erskine Log Spliter and Snoway MT80 Snow plow. So It is pretty productive most of the year. As for hauling it I usually take it to a sight before a storm is coming and leave it that way I don't have to pull it in to start the storm, it stays at on of my zero tolerance sites until it is done there, then it gets hauled around to do drives, and 6 small dry cleaners lots. After those are done it get hauled anywhere that we need to move back snow or stack. Dump trailer is a little bit of a pain to haul around loading and unloading the ramps gets fun when they are icy, but it works well the rest of the year hauling the machine.

19. Your line of work sounds quite similar to mine. Are you a solo-operation? Would you buy that same machine again, or are you gonna try something else when this one is done?

Thanks again Ctll, I enjoy talking with someone with first hand, and year round experience on the machine.

20. Ctll

Ctll Member
    from midwest

I would buy it again in a heart beat

no doubt in my mind I would buy it again. There have been many times where guys that are used to wheeled machines just stand and watch saying there is no way that little this can do that, but then it does. Now don't get me wrong, a bigger machine would be great in several situations such as lifting pallets and loading trucks, and moving tons of dirt. But this RC 30 will do alot more than you would think looking at it next to a big machine, plus it fits places that even a 700 series bobcat will not. The hydros are way over powered for the machines weight, it can lift way more than it has the ballast to do on its own if you make a weight kit.(mine is a bracket off the front of a tractor welded to a drawbar mount for a pintle hitch, then you just add suit case weights until you have enough. makes it easy on and off)