1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade Return Springs Keep Breaking

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by stroker79, Jan 12, 2009.

1. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

The plow is an 05 model plow.

This is its 3rd season plowing, the second event of the season in December, the drivers side return spring broke. I had a spare, issue resolved. 3rd event of the season (3 days later) the passenger return spring broke. No spare on hand yet but the Boss dealler down the road was open, grabbed 2 more springs, installed one on the pass side. Now on the last event, the drivers side spring broke again, this time it was one of the brand new ones. The paint is not even scratched around the eye bolt hardly. Thankfully I had a spare.

I can see the first 2 breaking, 2.5 years old, lots of use. But a spring that has been used for only 5 events already broke? At $20 a peice this is going to get expensive. I am going to see if it will get warrantied but I highly doubt it. All 3 springs snapped at the inside hook where they hook onto the center. The blade side brackets are getting all twisted and mangled from the spring snapping back and now I am going to have to weld on some metal around those tabs to keep any strength there.

Any thoughts on why this is happening? I tighten the springs so that I can fit a business card through the coils, which is what the dealer said to do.

Any help?

2. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

You have your springs torqued to tight. Loosen the bolts so that you can't fit a business card inbetween.

Wings will still go back just as fast and your springs will last way longer.

3. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

DeVries hit the nail right on the head.

At least, if it's the middle of the night, you can finish plowing with a broken return spring.

4. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

you do know how they are supposed go. if you are in the truck you shouldn't see the eyelet holes if that makes sens. if not ill find a pic for ya

5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

count down 3 coils from top of spring and only tighten so that a piece of paper can slide in. buissness cards are thicker than paper

6. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

Guy who subs for me once in a while called me the other morning, both of his return springs had broken! I'll pass on the info. to him.

7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

springs

i know you can have a batch of bad springs .i used to sell the plows ,and i noticed more springs were breaking when they changed eye bolt's from the one's that were a large open eye bolt .they had about a 1 1/4 hole .to the ones that they just stamp a flat end with a hole just big enough to fit the spring into . just my opinion , i have a straight blade ,not just quite the same .but the guy's with the vee's i replaced the eye bolt's with the older one's it helped . :salute:

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to see somebody else mention that detail for a change...I get tired of typing it. :D

If you keep the center pin greased and moving free like (it should it be) it takes VERY LITTLE spring tension to pull the wings back. If you need the tension set so tight that there's a gap in the coils with the wing in the retracted position then your hinge is dry.

Do occasionally see defective springs though from time to time as well...

9. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the help.

The hinged is greased alot and the wing will retract without the spring but it would take me 3 times longer to finish a lot waiting for the blade to float back all the time.

Its not breaking at the eyebolt end, its breaking on the center section.

I just puts a new spring in and I tightened them just enough so that the blade will pull back all the way. I cannot fi anything in there now, not even a piece of paper. Hope I dont have any more issues.

10. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

This has been a problem area for me ever since I got my plow. I break on ave at least a half-dozen springs each season. And it's not just the springs,... I've broke the bolts, torn them right out of the mounts, everything. I have the springs so there not even quite tight when the blades are retracted,... in V-position, the springs are slightly loose,.. either traveling or plowing will pull them all the way back anyway,... this seems to have helped the most. For sure they break more when it's -40° or colder, than if it's only +15° or so. A couple weeks ago I broke 3 in one day,... but it was about -45° that day. They always seem to break at the contact point in the hook of the spring, whether on the bolt, or in the center section. I guess I've resigned myself to thinking that this is just going to be an expense that one incurs when plowing with a Boss-V,......

Boss a (Custom).JPG

Boss b (Custom).JPG

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, we run our springs looser then most and we break very few springs. Never thought of the grease on the pivot pin untill B@B mentioned but we keep our pins well lubed. I know B@B is anal about grease, thanks. LOL

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

In your case AB, due to your normally extreme cold conditions it is of course likely that you'll go through wings spring more than the average plower. Two recommendations that will help..or totally eliminate your wing spring issues....neither of which will cost more than replacing the amount of springs your going through in a season.

One is to up the eye bolt size from the stock 1/2" to 5/8". Simply drill the eye bolt holes in the brackets slightly larger and the 5/8" bolts will be a simple fit but will increase the strength by far over the 1/2" inch ones. Order the same 5/8" eyebolts that your blade trip springs use..Boss p/n HDW05601.

The second may sound a bit voodoo if your not familiar with it but look into having a new pair of spring cryogenically treated. Cryogenically treating truck and auto components was once a little known and very "secret" method for years, but has become much more commonplace recently and there's various outfits you can send individual components to for treating at a very very reasonable cost vs what you'll gain from it. And you can take advantage of this excellent technology on other problematic/wear prone plow or truck related components beside just trip/wing springs. Virtually anything metal (and even Nylon) can be treated to prolong its life and wear resistance...hint hint. ;)

Search around on the net and you'll find hours of reading on the technology and it's benefits as well as companies that provide the service at much lower costs than changing 6 springs a season. :nod:

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You got yourself on that one JD lol. :blush2:

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's something we pride ourselves in.:drinkup:

15. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

my guys break quite a few springs. dunno why, they are always adjusted correctly. even a bit on the loose side. but after a few years, they fatigue, and they're just gonna break.

an interesting thing though...on one truck I had one that had a broken eyebolt. I didn't have any, so I just used a short length of 3/8 chain, a couple bolts/nuts and washers.
    that spring is quite a few years old now, and still intact.

16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I broke 3 return springs all ready this yr. I just keep extras in the truck with eye bolts and nuts.But the last time the bolt ripped through the bracket on the plow so I been plowing with a wound wing.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Someone forgot the flat washer.

18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I should say ripped the bolt hole in half

19. plowmechanic

plowmechanic Junior Member
    from ontario

hey guys ...I see this all the time ...when the plow is new the springs last longer ..the replacement springs dont seem to fair as well .... what i see, is that the centre section (where the spring hooks in) gets a nasty burr and oval shaped ...if you file or grind it smooth the springs last longer..

20. Ditchdiggin

Ditchdiggin Member

I don't break that many springs and I think it's because we started to begin each year a few years ago with new springs on all of our vplows. I have noticed that the only time they seem to break is when you drop the plow with it either in the scoop position or one wing angled all the way. So I've tried to keep my blade at least somewhat straight when I drop it and then move it to how I want it.